Engine flush yes or no?

Currently reading:
Engine flush yes or no?

pandapop14

Hi just a quick question. I have just booked my first service on my fiat Panda, with the main dealer, just a short service, my mileage in the first year is only 2500, they have recommended an engine flush. For £35 on top of the service price. Is this necessary? I googled it and there were pros and cons. I have had engine sludge probs before on previous pandas that were 7 years old with low mileage. Thanks for any comments

I'm guessing this is a new vehicle, with just the 2500 miles on. Disappointed that any garage would try to sell a flush at that mileage. No need whatsoever, just another profit opportuity for them. Say NO.

Modern oils contain all the necessary detergents and other chemicals to ensure the internals stay clean, as any carbon or other stuff created is carried to the filter. The inside of the engine will be fine, throughout its life if oil changes are done at the required intervals, with quality oil. (Difficult to buy poor oil, but easy to put the wrong spec in.)

Flushing older engines is also not usually recommended, as if there is any goo inside, dislodging it, to then lodge elsewhere, can cause more problems than it fixes. Even a neglected engine will be better cleaned by using a high quality oil, and changing it more frequently, as modern detergents will gently clean it, instead of dislodging lumps.

"Just say No."

I'm guessing this is a new vehicle, with just the 2500 miles on. Disappointed that any garage would try to sell a flush at that mileage. No need whatsoever, just another profit opportuity for them. Say NO.

Modern oils contain all the necessary detergents and other chemicals to ensure the internals stay clean, as any carbon or other stuff created is carried to the filter. The inside of the engine will be fine, throughout its life if oil changes are done at the required intervals, with quality oil. (Difficult to buy poor oil, but easy to put the wrong spec in.)

Flushing older engines is also not usually recommended, as if there is any goo inside, dislodging it, to then lodge elsewhere, can cause more problems than it fixes. Even a neglected engine will be better cleaned by using a high quality oil, and changing it more frequently, as modern detergents will gently clean it, instead of dislodging lumps.

"Just say No."
Yes it's a 21 reg. I read similar to what you're saying. I thought it might be the case of them trying to get more money 💰🤬 thanks for reply.
I will ring them back and say no thanks!

Another NO.
As said modern oils and engines do not need flushing. It can actualy be detrimental.
Very poor of the dealer to try and sell this.

All too common though. I had a "discussion" with the main dealer about the 5 year service on my Outlander plug-in hybrid. The car is low milage. They wanted to change the spark plugs and check the valve clearances. This would add over £300 to the bill. The service schedule clearly says these items are due at 62,000 miles. There is no mention of a calendar limit. The garage said because it's a 12,500 mile / 1 year cycle it had to be done. I pointed out that as most of the items on the schedule were calender based. Why would they pick these items out as miles? Also they are wear items and not affected by time like fluids or belts. I even pointed out an item that was mileage or calender, which ever first, aagain identified differently to most items.
This isn't wasn't about the money, due to a non main dealer service before got the car I actually had some filters that were not due changed so I know everything is up to date. Taking the cam cover off before you need to is just asking for leaks and possibly introduction of dirt etc. Changing noble metal fine wire with no gap adjustment is a waste of resources. The plug manufacturer says they last Over a year later and the car hasn't done 40,000 miles never mind 62,000. The plug manufacturer says 100,000 km (62,100m).

Robert G8RPI.

Back