Technical Engine Fault

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Fault

gerhardj

Sunny Durban is the best.
Hi All,
I live at sea level (Durban) and last week had to go to Johannesburg, which is about 1, 600m above sea level. Driving around Johannesburg I noticed that the rev's will at some times "stumble". On the second day the Engine Fault message came up on the LCD display. I tried resetting it, by removing the battery, but no luck. Could not find a Fiat garages at that time, so decided to carry on driving. Funny thing is that after the message came up the "stumbling revs" went away!! On the last day in Johannesburg, on my way to a Fiat garage, the light and message disappeared??? I am now back in Durban and have not seen the message again. Any advise on this will be appreciated.

Regarding fuel consumption driving up the Johannesburg (at ave speed of 140kph) I returned 9.6l/100km. Coming back to Durban (ave speed of 112kph) I average 6.8l/100km.

Gerhard

Sounds like MAP sensor having problems and that will greatly affect fuel consumption. Have a look for a P0105 fault code stored. Many more Stilos are getting over the 6 year age now and the MAP sensor sensing material becomes less flexible

You'll most likely to continue to get poor fuel consumption until the stored fault code is cleared

Last edited:
Once it's warned you of detecting a fault then it ignores the MAP, clears the warning and guesses the air flow from other parameters like throttle valve opening and rpm. If the MAP sensor was reporting out of limits values when you were altitude then it may have cleared when you descended again

Maybe, like you've found, you'll tend to get poor fuel consumption at that altitude as the ECU can't work out the engine air flow very well or what amount of fuel to use

Last edited:
Back