Technical Engine failure

Currently reading:
Technical Engine failure

HH Steve

Good morning everyone.
I have a big problem at the moment with my Fiat Ducato 2015 Diesl.
After around 20 to 30 minutes of driving, it starts to make a crackling sound like a misfire. This has caused the engine to suddenly cut out.
It has then been possible to start it again but to drive slower to get home.
Do you think it is an injection problem?
Filters etc have been changed as has fuel pressure pump etc.
Sorry but I am not mechanically minded so any thoughts or tips are most welcome.

Yes. It did the first couple of times. ESC unavailable and Hill holder was I believe the other warning. After some of the works had been carried out this hasn't occurred again. But the crackling sound has re appeared. This usually occurs after about 30 minutes of driving. This problem keeps re occurring and is driving me mad apart from also costing a lot of money. I have done a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that the only thing left to do is to have new injectors fitted. I am planning to take the van out tomorrow for a run and see what happens.
Any thoughts and theories greatly appreciated.

Sorry would just like to add that the first couple of times it wouldn't even re start. The last 2 times it has at least re started after a few minutes.

Many years ago I fitted an add-on ECU which fitted into the the original injector wiring. My issue was similar to yours but began with the non-starting part and the crackling. Then when it did start it cut out on route but restarted and got us home. I thought it was fuel, but on returning home and looking for any faults I cleaned the contacts in the plug to the add-on ECU which cured the problem and has run faultless ever since.

Do you have an add-on ECU, mine is "The Italian Box" and also on a much older Ducato 2.8JTD. Antway I would check the injector wiring on your 2015 Diesel.

:cool:

Many years ago I fitted an add-on ECU which fitted into the the original injector wiring. My issue was similar to yours but began with the non-starting part and the crackling. Then when it did start it cut out on route but restarted and got us home. I thought it was fuel, but on returning home and looking for any faults I cleaned the contacts in the plug to the add-on ECU which cured the problem and has run faultless ever since.

Do you have an add-on ECU, mine is "The Italian Box" and also on a much older Ducato 2.8JTD. Antway I would check the injector wiring on your 2015 Diesel.

:cool:
Thank you for the tip. I am thinking of going to the nearest Bosch centre to see if they can find any faults with the injectors. Obviously the other people who have done the works have plugged their reader in and it hasn't shown there being any problem, but I have also heard that these fault readers don't always pick up on everything regarding injectors. I am hoping to take it for a run again if we don't get anymore snow here in Northern Germany so I will report back then. Thank you for reply, all suggestions gratefully received.
Steve in Hamburg

Thank you for the tip. I am thinking of going to the nearest Bosch centre to see if they can find any faults with the injectors. Obviously the other people who have done the works have plugged their reader in and it hasn't shown there being any problem, but I have also heard that these fault readers don't always pick up on everything regarding injectors. I am hoping to take it for a run again if we don't get anymore snow here in Northern Germany so I will report back then. Thank you for reply, all suggestions gratefully received.
Steve in Hamburg
Ps . Where is the add on ECU ?

It was aftermarket.
They don't make the "ItalianBox" like they used to. Mine is tiny compared to its modern all singing and dancing counterpart that can also be talked to.
Small enough to be velcroed on the top of the battery which in my case is in the engine bay and near the injector wiring.

Link to the latest edition. https://www.theitalianbox.com/en/

Ok thanks for that. If I get the chance to go for a bit of a run up and down the autobahn tomorrow I will report back.

It was aftermarket.
They don't make the "ItalianBox" like they used to. Mine is tiny compared to its modern all singing and dancing counterpart that can also be talked to.
Small enough to be velcroed on the top of the battery which in my case is in the engine bay and near the injector wiring.

Link to the latest edition. https://www.theitalianbox.com/en/
Took it out earlier today planning to go up and down the autobahn, but the crackling sound started whilst I was driving around locally. It seems to start once it has run 20 minutes or so. It also seems to start at 2500 rpm + , if I potter around and keep it in higher gears and keep the rpm down it seems ok. I will check the link you sent me as well.
Thanks for your help.

Back