Technical Engine failure warning

Currently reading:
Technical Engine failure warning

purpleronnie

Hi everybody,
Alittle advise needed. 04 stilo MW active aircon 1.6 19500 miles on clock
5 weeks out of warranty. 1 week over due a service.

Got back off holiday the car was ok for 1 day. Then this mornning i get the following faults.

1 Engine failure warning message on dash with a little spanner to the left.
2 Engine management warning light.
3 rough idle
4 no revs. foot to the floor and 16000 revs max.

I take it, it would have to be hooked up to a diagnostic machine but is there any simple checks i can do first before my wallet takes a hit.

cheers

Try disconnecting the battery and walking away. Go back an hour later and reconnect the battery and see how you get on.
Failing that drive it to get a diagnostics check :(

16000 revs max.

Wow! Ferrari F2007 only uses 19000!

Suspect it could be a myriad of things, none of which would be obvious looking under the bonnet; injectors possibly? Needs to be plugged-in if the battery trick doesn't work. Good luck anyway, hope it's something simple and cheap!

I had the battery off for about 10 mins and it did'nt work. I'll try it for an hour and see. Schwenck, can you tell i know nothing about cars;)
It must be 1600.

well just my luck, the battery trick did'nt work.
i'v been told it's in "limp home mode" so i'll just have to limp to the garage tomorrow.

I put some tesco petrol in yesterday, hope thats nothing to do with it.
Just thinking back to the dodgy petrol fiasco :(

sounds like coil failure, they cost about £40 each, hopefully it's just one but its worth replacing all of them as they will all go kaput eventually!

I can't remember the best make to get, i'm sure a fellow 1.6 owner will tell you the best make.

Last edited:
Shop4parts and don't get Sagem ones is what I've read before. Assuming that's what it is of course!

done the faulty coil test this morning and there was very little change when disconnecting the wires one by one, if anything the engine ran alittle smoother, then a slight increase in revs when reconnected.

Are these mobile tuning people who claim to do the latest ecu diagnoctics/fault code reading worth a try. the nearest none fiat diagnostic garage is about half a mile away and i don't fancy trying to get there on 1600 revs max. The nearest fiat approved place is about 6 miles.

Going on abit i know but i don't know what to do for the best.
mobile diagnostic
none fiat garage
fiat approved

You need to find out what the fault code is to cut out the guesswork. You can get good fault code readers from ebay but that may not be fast enough for you. Get one anyway for any future problems as it cuts the guess work out. It's probably the first thing any diagnostics person is going to do and it'll cost you for the privilege

Bad idle and no revs above 1600rpm could be throttle body but it's a wild guess, you need something that talks to your car diagnostics.

Do a search here for fault code readers people have bought recently

Next time you're in Halfords buy some contact cleaner spray, you're going to need that too £5

If you buy a multimeter from Maplins £5 next then you're all ready to open you're own diagnostics and fault finding workshop:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input chaps.

Just one more thing. I have noticed a connector with 3 rows of 8 female connections. It's brown in colour with purple bits at each end and yellow inside behind the battery under the fuse panel not connected to anythying.
Any ideas what it could be for.

Results in.

Went to my local garage in the end not examiner in know but it was bad enough getting half a mile never mind 6 at a crawl and worth a try for £25, anyway
He used a Laptop with bosch diagnostic Kts520

These codes were stored in the memory he wiped the memory clean started the engine and the exact same codes came back. verdict possible faulty ecu.

P0571 Cruise control brake circuit A malfunction
P1687 Unknown Fault
P0638 Throttle Valve Control (bank 1) outside set range
P1220 Throttle valve module position sensor 1 malfunction
P0351 Ignition coil A primary/secondary malfunction
P0352 Ignition coil B primary/secondary malfunction
P0353 Ignition coil C primary/secondary malfunction
P0354 Ignition coil D primary/secondary malfunction

Last edited:
Cooo. There's a motley bunch there. Can't see any reason to condemn the ecu out of that lot just yet, a bit premature.

Ok take one at a time
P0571 Cruise control/ brake circuit A malfunction

Go for the easy one, a lot of Stilos have had brake switch malfunction problems and if the car thinks the brakes are on it won't let you do lot of things so flip the tailgate up so you can see the high level brake light and, with ign on, see if the brake lights do exactly what you'd expect when you operate the foot brake repeatedly. It only takes a slightly clumsy foot to lift the brake pedal up and the brake lights are on all the time. Duh!

Testing, changing and adjusting the brake light switch are in the Stilo Guides

P1687 Unknown Fault
P0638 Throttle Valve Control (bank 1) outside set range
P1220 Throttle valve module position sensor 1 malfunction

P1687 is technically "oil pump metering valve" but for that read throttle valve potentiometer so they're all saying "throttle body lost the plot" which is a pretty common fault so do a search on "throttle body". Where do you want to start? The chain of command from gas pedal to ECU to throttle body is missing communications at times so it doesn't know where the throttle valve is positoned. I'd clean throttle butterfly valve (see stilo Guides) as it may be sticking, clean the throttle body connector contacts with the contact cleaner, (maybe even the gas pedal potentiometer connector too) and then do a throttle relearning procedure (do a search)

The others
P0351 Ignition coil A primary/secondary malfunction
P0352 Ignition coil B primary/secondary malfunction
P0353 Ignition coil C primary/secondary malfunction
P0354 Ignition coil D primary/secondary malfunction
are all the same, 12v was expected at the coils and it was chopped on all 4 cylinders

There's an ECU update for the throttle valve, you can only find out if you've got it done by connecting to Examiner but that may help

Have a look here for fault code reference http://www.myscantool.com/dtc/

Cure the other faults and you may be lucky or

I could be talking utter nonsense:)

Last edited:
thanks decks,
Done the throttle body thing already and blew out the contacts. I'll get some contact cleaner and do all the contacts. If that fails then it's a steady plod to the dealers.:(

Been afew weeks i know, but just got word back from the dealer.

After extensive testing, (lots of contradicting error codes). Replaced the throttle body. This then highlighted a faulty ECU unit. Verdict is £700 to replace the throttle body and ECU :eek:

The bloke said what can happen when say the ECU unit goes faulty is that faulty unit can also take out other units like the throttle body.

It's not word for word and he did explain it better than i have, but you get the general idea.

I have used this garage before and so have afew mates and they seem honest enough but to say i'm totaly p@ssed off is a under statement :cry:
I'v only had the car just over 1 year. Had my punto 6 years and the total i spent on repares came to under £250

Anyway on a lighter note the AA are going to pay the first £475 ;)

join the club, exact same thing happened to me this week! its so damn annoying! i feel for you, my dad's 8 year old focus has never had a penny spent on it in repairs yet my 02 stilo has now clocked up just short of £1,500 in 44,500 miles and i've only owned it for 24,000 of those miles!!! im sick of it!

good luck with it all anyway.

Back