Engine/engine bay cleaning

Currently reading:
Engine/engine bay cleaning

G

Gav

What's the best/safest way to clean the engine and engine bay ? It's pretty crapped up but I don't want to use anything that will damage owt and obviously I don't want to start chucking loads of water about and have it getting where it shouldn't. Is steam cleaning it safe or is it hand scrubbing all the way ? Cheers Gav

well at mercedes benz they use TFR in a dilute spray n soak a warm engine in it then leave it to dry when u look again its all clean n shiney :D

n hey well if its good enough for a sl 55 amg merc its good enough for me lol

jamestag.jpg

Still needs improvement
Alls gettin sorted n were back on track :)

Save money on fuel with a Free Pipeline Card

My Brother had his Alfa 156 2.4 JTD chemically treated and clean for £25 by a company called Swoosh. They deal with car engines, valetting and car cleaning. The final result was impressive. Very clean and tidy. My engine is nice and clean after i've cleaned it by hand with lots of elbow grease. Hmm maybe £25 is not a fortune to pay next time.

JTD.JPG

Banner.JPG

Lots of elbow grease, carefully spraying and wiping. polishing of the cam cover comes up really well i was very happy with my 2 hours of effort.

what ever you do, do not get it steam cleaned. did it to my last car and totaly flooded the spark plugs

Banner.jpg

First you need to cover all vunerable electrical components with cling-film.

Then you need to use a degreaser such as AutoGlym Engine & Machine Cleaner. spray over entire engine bay and leave for 15 minutes.

Agitate dirt with a brush if need be.

When the time is up, put your hose nozzle on mist setting, then hold it directly down over the engine. all the degreaser will wash away, and the cling-film will act as an umbrella over electrical bits.

When the engine bay is dry, dress with a back-to-black type product on all rubber/plastic bits.

Nonsense. LOL :)

I use water, cleaning detergent, a tooth brush for hard to reach places, cockpit cleaner for the plastics to shine or any silicon spray, and afew rags. Thats how i clean my engine up.

Banner.JPG

Well, my way is how professional detailers do it.

And trust me, their cars are concours quality.

plaster it in WD40 :) looks shiny and no need to scrub! LOL

take the engine out throw it in the swiming pool in the back garden for a few days remove and reinstall is my prefered method!!

seriously guys devote your time to the better things in life!

boobanner.JPG

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will Cost You MONEY!!

@ Joske - This company who does it for you, Swoosh, where are they based? I've just done a Google search and found at least five different companies with the same name scattered all over the company!! lol
Cheers

M@rt1n

sig2ajpg.jpg