General Engine does not start any more !

Currently reading:
General Engine does not start any more !

Morty Mort

NobodyBlamesTheHappyGuy!
Hei.

As a not very good ending to an else horrible day with mainly bad happenings, the Uno died. I'm planning a resurrection though.

After running smoothly for two years now, me and my son was picking up our girlfriend / mother downtown. We went out, and the car idles while we chat. When we re-enter the car after a couple of minutes - it's dead. Everything off, except lights for "handbrake", "oil-pressure" and "battery". Typical stall with ignition and handbrake still on.

It barely starts. It has run on 3 cylinders before, very smooth actually. So it's not the problem. It jerks and jumps like it's trying to get rid of a demon. If I pull the throttle cable, it cuts out after making "bangs" in the throttle body, as if air is coming OUT of it!

A very nasty smell of the exhaust is also present after the stunt above. It must be the cat working like hell.

Plugs, rotorcap, HT-leads, oil, water etc. changed 2 months ago before the MOT.

I've read many posts about the vacuum thing. If I remove the hos from the round vacuum thing and blow into it (not the hose) it blows straight through. Is this correct?

s**t!!! And just before holiday.[:(!]

Morten.

gas lowered on abarth wheels. upgraded interior and visuals. audio through phoenix gold and BLOWN kenwood.

projects: air in and out.

Honey that ain't no pistol - that's my LOVE GUN.

I'm no expert by any means but it's possible your exhaust is knackered. This happened on an old Uno of mine - it was very noisy starting up, would chug along for a couple of seconds before cutting out and leaving a strong smell of petrol.

Have you noticed a loss in power over the previous few days/weeks?

Had to had the exhaust replaced (from the manifold) at a fast-fit garage. Thankfully it wasn't too expensive.

I hope this isn't bad. Yesterday I tried starting it again, with the air filter equipment removed. The engine choked before it started. It tried to ignite, but not even the starter managed to turn the engine. There are lots of battery power. Smoke started to come out of the intake, and a nasty smell of petrol with it. Something must be very wrong.

I think it's down to 3 things:
1. Ignition completely destroyed. How, I have no idea.
2. Exhaust suddenly clogged making exhaust come up the intake.
3. Engine blown.

I will try later today to remove all spark plugs and run the engine on the starter. This will remove the compression in the engine I've heard, and will be able to find out if "alternative 3" is an option. I hope not. If the engine turns on the starter for a period of time, the engine is ok, and I'm happy. My "psychiatrist", Arve "Mechanic" at Peugot thinks it's down to an ignition problem.

But parts are so damn expensive here as well. On a scrapyard I'll have to pay 90£ for the distributor only. Blah! [V]. Can't imagine the cost for a new one.

Trublue: Can I remove the exhaust manifold from the engine and still start it? What about the lambda sensor. Will flames come out where the manifold was to be mounted? Is TruBlue from the old movie "Red Surf" incl. G. Clooney before he became famous?

Morten.

gas lowered on abarth wheels. upgraded interior and visuals. audio through phoenix gold and BLOWN kenwood.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Mort :(

----------
Uno 1.0ie Start. Standard.
ff_banner.jpg

Not seen that movie. Trublue just comes from me supporting Everton Football club, for my sins[xx(]

As for disconnecting the exhaust, I really wouldn't like to advise on this. I wouldn't think the ECU would be too happy about it - would be a good method of fault finding if you can get the engine to start though. Maybe worth a try?

Please read below post for follow-ups.

http://www.fiatcentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14142

Morten.

Back