General Engine Control Faulty light –*the last straw

Currently reading:
General Engine Control Faulty light –*the last straw

Bloog

I've come to the end of the road with my 06 Multijet Eleganza. I've spent over £1200 on repairs since last January, and the niggling faults, and major ones, keep coming. This, coupled with the infuriating attitude from the Fiat dealership, has made me decide to have a change.

I had a blow out a couple of months after I'd bought the car, and it was found to have a fault in the suspension that meant the tracking would never be right. Consequently, we've had 4 tyres for the front, and they're nearly ready for replacing again. The alternator decided to stop working and was replaced. If someone other than the dealership services it, the oil light flashes constantly. I seem to have a new noise every day, knocking in the steering, screaming brakes – sometimes, the bonnet won't shut (the latch has been adjusted, it's a seized cable, apparently), and this is the first car I've owned, in 30 years, where you have to wait for the brakes or gears to unfreeze in cold weather before you can drive. If it's damp, the left indicator may or may not work, and the front courtesy light has failed since about month 4 of ownership. Ask at the dealership about this, and they say it's £72 per hour to look at it.

Today, the car was at the garage all day to find out why the 'engine control faulty' light had come on. A lot of blather later, which cost £90, and I have to decide whether they get some part in to test if that's the problem. If it's not that, they'll check the wiring, which could cost. (What a surprise.) If it's not that, it's something with the word 'integral' in it, which sounds extremely expensive. Then he went through the 'visual check customer advisory' (they seem to have lost the ability to speak English at this place), which included the clutch, front brakes, tyres, suspension bush, and the windscreen wash being 'inoperative'. Yes, that'll be because it was frozen. AAAAARGH!

The car was brought round from the workshop, and the warning light had gone off. Don't worry though, it popped back on before I came home.

If I was a mechanic, I'm sure I'd be able to live with all this. But I bought a car to move from A to B, not spend lots of time in a pricey dealership garage. It was fun to drive for a while, but I just don't think I trust it any more : (

Sorry to hear about your problems.
My personal opinion on main dealers is they're too expensive for older cars, I wouldn't mind if they operated on a no fix no fee basis but they don't.

Try to find a decent independent who are not only cheaper, but generally have a better working knowledge of your car.

I'd also consider giving Fiat UK a call and see if their customer relations team can't pull a few strings.

I have same prob mine happens every now and again all i do is when light comes on is go under bonnet and release the presure from the collant as mine some times sucks up some thing then it comes on hope this help

Thank you for your tips, momoe, and Pete123, very useful.

I've been out, started up, and the light has gone out. She's just turned 43,000 miles on the clock, and we had a good run up the M4 on Saturday; maybe these things have contributed to it going out, who knows? I think I might calm down and see what happens before I do anything drastic, but I will have to find a good independent, because I can't stand that dealership any more!

Thanks again.

North Wilts? Very close to me then.

Try Nick at Optima Fiat - 01793 840667. He's in Wootton Bassett (opposite where the St Ivel works used to be if you're familiar with the area).

Nick is ex-Fiat/Alfa and has been trading as an independent for a good few years. Very knowledgeable guy - and he likes Multiplas, which is always a good start! He's miles better than any of the Fiat dealers in this region.

I had mine in there for its MOT today. It passed! Also had a new auxilliary belt and tensioner for a very reasonable £93 inc VAT, fitted.

Thank you so much. I shall certainly get in touch with Nick and see if he thinks our Multipla's basically all right or not.

Glad your MOT went OK. And thanks.

Well, it looks like Nick at Optima will be looking after the Multipla from now on. He listened to my tale of woe, and fixed the horrible noises, one of which stumped the dealership on two visits. The car feels new and sprightly, and I feel like a customer again, not an inconvenience! Thanks again, widemouthfrog.

well if you change your car .... take my advice and dont buy a Renault if you want trouble free motoring. My 2000 multipla has done 150000 miles and is the best thing I have had for years.... I spent £4000 on my Laguna in 3 years and it is sitting in my garage still after a year waiting for me to fix it again,,, I may just set fire to it. Fiat spares are peanuts compared to most other brands

Thanks for the advice. Car trouble is one of the most frustrating things. I hope you get your Laguna sorted.

I think the Multipla has had a reprieve now we've found someone to look after it sensibly. We're taking tentative steps towards enjoying it again!

What a support the Fiat Forum is, too.

Back