Technical Engine chocking at low rev range - Diesel

Currently reading:
Technical Engine chocking at low rev range - Diesel

Remas

Hello everyone :)

I have bought myself a Panda 1.3 Diesel Multijet from 2008 back in July, which required a bit of work to be done as the car wouldn't go above 3k rpm's and would struggle uphill. We have diagnosed the car via diagnostic software which showed a fatal error for EGR and airflow. We have went ahead and replaced the fuel filter, glow plugs and the mass air flow sensor, then given the car away to a mechanic to replace the EGR however the airflow fault was still on. They found that the wastegate has seized and they have managed to unseize it, resulting in the car being able to finally go over 5k revs and wasn't struggling uphill anymore... However, now I've got an issue with the low revs, the engine is struggling around 1.5k revs and feels like its misfiring. It does so once the clutch is beginning to engage, as well as if the clutch is engaged at certain throttle position. It seems like I can kind of counteract it with pressing the throttle down but I don't want to be constantly accelerating and slowing down (and it takes away the joy from driving by the jerkiness) . It does happen in the 1.5k range on all gears. We have tried adding Redex to the fuel, tried EGR cleaner to clean the system however it hasn't helped.

I've got a wee video recorded to demonstrate the fault which will be linked down below. We've been brainstorming a lot but can't seem to pin point the fault (the mechanic is also scratching his head :D ). The diagnostics are not showing anything. I have ordered a new turbo with a wastegate actuator but would like to hear your ideas as to if there could be anything else at cause.

Best regards,
Remas

watch?v=jLCn7JpiXEk

Edit:
An adaptation has been performed at the mechanics, which has reduced it however it came back now.

Last edited:
Faulty EGR or even too much slow driving will lead to carbon clogging the intake manifold. Although a diesel, it does have a vacuum operated throttle valve so check that is opening properly. The linkage can fail.

Last edited:
I believe that the intake manifold has not been checked, we shall go ahead and get this looked at. Thanks for your input guys, I will keep you updated

We have found that the choking was caused by the MAF sensor. Unplugging it spits out an engine error however, the car runs well. No more choking, the exhausted fumes have been halved, the throttle response is much better, the engine's tone and MPG have improved as well! We have plugged in the old sensor which causes the same issues as the new one. We have ordered another one, due to come in around end of next week.

I'll update again once it is installed

Good morning everyone,

So the sensor has been installed around two weeks ago and covered +500 miles with it in and working. No engine warning lights (and no errors showing in via diagnostic software), no choking, the car runs smooth and with improved MPG, engine's tone is good, amount of fumes exhausted is similar to when it has been unplugged and finally, the throttle response isn't as delayed and feels more delicate.

Turns out it has been a simple and relatively cheap fix, which is a positive :) Thanks to Stevie and Dave for contributing, I hope this post will help someone in the future :)

I've got a few mods in my mind for the Panda, which I will share once completed :)

Cheers everyone

Back