Technical Engine battery jump start plug under motorhome drivers seat, 2005 Burstner i821?

Currently reading:
Technical Engine battery jump start plug under motorhome drivers seat, 2005 Burstner i821?

Ocwobio

Established member
I have the above vehicle, and what I thought was an Anderson plug, I today find is no such thing. I thought it was something to do with the fact that some mohos have leisure under the seat, so maybe a connector for an extra one. However it is definitely for the engine battery, as I metered it today, and it was showing 11.96v, and on starting it went to 13.9. There are no leisure batteries fitted at this time. So, having found this out, can anyone suggest where I can get the mating part for it? It is 2pin, with 3 wires into it, and appears to have a clip secured cover that mates on it; it may be that said cover is actually the mating plug but minus the terminals within. It is made by MTA and I can find nothing online in their catalog, which is very hard to navigate, and as the actual battery is a real pig to get charger clips on due to bad access, I would like to use this remote socket/plug as a charge point if I can find the parts. Anyone done this and are the parts around anywhere? I tried ePer but can't find anything there either. Cheers folks.

Hi.
I take it that the poor access to the battery is due to the A class MH body design, as I do not finf it a problem on my x244 PVC.

You have not given much info as regards contact and cable size. I am dubious that the rating would be suitable for jump starting, but I am ready to be corrected.

I am attaching two files extracted from a 2019 MTA catalogue. Is this anything like your connector? If yes then contact image 3 for 2.5 sq mm may be suitable. Will a maxi blade fuse contact fit?

Sourcing small quantities may be an unsurmountable hurdle.

My alternative suggestion for your charger connection, would be to use the 12V power socket with a small wiring modification to make it permanently live. The modification is simple, all you need is a short length of suitable insulated wire with a 0.25" male blade terminal on each end.

My vehicle had the cigarette lighter and power socket connections transposed, when referenced to handbook and eLearn. Remove relay T01, and confirm that Power Socket, PO51 is dead. If checks OK, for safety disconnect starter battery negative. Insert wire link into relay T01 horizontal socket apertures. Check that blade terminals a firmly held in sockets. Reconnect battery negative, and confirm that power socket has a permanent 12V supply. I have attached pdf copy of eLearn E1010/3, but I do not have a pdf copy of E3070, which provides more detail.

Attachments

• MTA 2 way power.pdf
    166.2 KB · Views: 60
  • MTA F800 inserts.pdf
    213.9 KB · Views: 59
  • eLearn E1010-3.pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 29
Hello again Mr.C. Nice to hear from you.
Yes, the bad access is an A class trait! The thing does seem to be as per your images, and I think you are correct about small quantity supply. The assembly is already in 2 mating halves, so I can try alternatives if I can find/decide to pursue this. You are correctt regarding the cable size, they wouldn't carry starting current, but would prove useful for a charger input. I blush to admit that I can't recall if I had the ignition on or off when I got the 11.9v reading, but IIRC it was off, and increased when starting. I need to go back and check again, perhaps middle of next week, as I'll hopefully be off to MOT it then. Fortunately, it lives indoors and is always a brisk starter! So the 11.9v is not an issue at this time. Thanks for your reply, best regards.

Hello Oc,

A few further thoughts about about your mystery connector.

Possible intended puposes are,
1. Minibar Fridge
2. Heated Seats.
3. Early version of convertors supply.

1 above would have a white/red positive wire, and is controlled by the ignition via a relay in the LH cab fusebox.
With 2, I am currently struggling with the diagram, with little motivation to proceed.
As for the third possibility, this should be routed from Midi fuse F73, which is designated for converters use, but often ignored.

If 1 (Minibar) applies, you could deal with the relay in the same way, as I have previously described.

Hello Oc,

A few further thoughts about about your mystery connector.

Possible intended puposes are,
1. Minibar Fridge
2. Heated Seats.
3. Early version of convertors supply.

1 above would have a white/red positive wire, and is controlled by the ignition via a relay in the LH cab fusebox.
With 2, I am currently struggling with the diagram, with little motivation to proceed.
As for the third possibility, this should be routed from Midi fuse F73, which is designated for converters use, but often ignored.

If 1 (Minibar) applies, you could deal with the relay in the same way, as I have previously described.
Thank you for this. I suspect number 3 applies. I have decided that it is better suited to leave it as a switched positive supply (if it is, I'll check again next week) as I have a need for one of these that is accessible without digging in the dashboard again! When I next need to remove the battery terminals, I will make and attach a charge point I can place for easy access then. Cheers!

I have seen a similar plug on some Transit and Sprinter vans, where the battery access is difficult. Other vehicles have a red post somewhere under the bonnet marked for jump lead positive.

Your local motorhome dealer, any franchise, may well be able to help with a mating plug.

"O",
I mistakenly thought the connector under the drivers seat on our Ducato 18 Maxi Chassis was for fitting an additional Hab' battery but as you say it's related to the Chassis battery.
I seem to recall getting a cable, but also recall the connectors were wrong aswell, which I know won't help, but on the otherhand might have been correct.. I'll do some investigating.
Can you post a photo?
:cool:

Can't find the cable I bought at the mo, but here are photos of of the connector under my drivers seat.
First one, the socket comes apart and leaves a shorter socket as in photo3.
HTH

Socket1.jpg
Socket2.jpg
Socket3.jpg

Can't find the cable I bought at the mo, but here are photos of of the connector under my drivers seat.
First one, the socket comes apart and leaves a shorter socket as in photo3.
HTH

View attachment 404115View attachment 404116View attachment 404117
Hi Lance,,, yes, that is exactly the one I have. IIRC it was a switched positive, I did say I was going back to check, and have since been back to the vehicle (it's in storage) and not checked! TBF I had some smaller issue checking it pre MOT, the washers weren't working again, put a new 3way and NRV on last year, and all was well, tried again on Tuesday, and no washers again. This was at 10;44 and it was booked in at 11;00! So had to fit another new 3way NRV, via ebay, so forgot about the plug. I'll get round to it, honest guv. Incidentally rebooked MOT for Friday and flew through it, even
getting comment 'the handbrake is the best I've seen on one of these' despite being a bit iffy for max AUW last time!

Back