Technical engin stops when hot

Currently reading:
Technical engin stops when hot

markharrison

Hi All, My multipla (diesel 2001) was running great, always starts first time, now when I've been driving for 5mins and the engine is warm (not over heating) it cuts out, wait 10 mins to cool and starts and drives fine until warm again! I went to a garage and the diagnostic said glow plugs over heating and I need 4 new ones and will cost me £250. Now I know this is a rip of price which makes me think the diagnostic could also be a bit wrong, surly if the glow plugs are over heating it has to do with a relay or timer, it still starts well when cold so they must be working! Any help or advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Hi,
it sounds more like a fuel problem, you need to get them to check the rail pressure as the fault occurs to see if it drops off as it cuts out. also after it has cut out and you try to start it, presumably it won't restart straight away so again check and see if you have any rail pressure this will tell you if there is enough pressure to start the engine. If no pressure until it cools them could be a high pressure pump fault.

Not had the problem myself, but from reading other posts it may be the crank sensor- gives the same symptoms. Try a forum search for "crank sensor".

It will be crank sensor what happens is car reachs a temp then cuts out then won't start untill cooled down is this the case with urs

thanks very much everyone, it is the crank / rpm sensor by the look of things, I there was a very useful description on how to change it on the fiat forum site. Now just have to go and tell the garage what a bunch of cowboys they are!!!.

cheers

Back