Technical Electronic Handbrake Release

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic Handbrake Release

Booshy21

Hi

We have an error with our keyless entry on our 2015 Fiat 500x and it will no longer start or power up. It doesn't seem to be the keys, so happy to take to the dealership to find the fault and repair.

However I'm struggling a little bit with the recovery, as without being able to power on I can't release the electronic handbrake. Is there a way to do this manually?

Thanks

Saw a neat trick on YouTube a while ago.
All cars with an electric parking brake need a computer plugged in to set them in 'service mode', i.e. with the brake off. The vid had a great, simple hack. Turn on, put brake off, disconnect electrical plug from brake motor(s). No matter waht the computer commands, brake cannot go on without a connection.

Whilst this does not help directly, with no power from the car, it might help understand how to trick the car.
Find the brake motor. Some seem to have spearate ones on each wheel, others have one that pulls cables. It is likely to have two cables, and the positive/negative are reversed to power the motor opposite ways. Disconnect the plug. Apply 12v supply to the motor. it will either try to apply, or release. If it tries the wrong way, reverse your wires.

I've not done this, just theorising. I'm assuming it works on 12v, not less, as it does need to power a decent motor. If there's more than two wires, it may have a sensor, so the power and retrun need identifying.

Alternatively, when the truck arrives, let it drag the car onto its bed with the wheels locked. Pour water onto the ground ahead of the locked wheels, so they slide more easily. (You could use a mix of water and washing up liquid, no idea how much you'd need.) At least that washes away easily. Vegetable oil will make a bit of a mess. An icy day would be ideal, water the ground ahead of the wheels the night before, ready for a frost.

No idea about the UK, but in Poland tow trucks have a special trolley they put under a damaged wheel. It looks more or less like on the attached photo.

But as I understood, for the moment Booshy21 is not thinking about the towing truck, he wants to find a way to unlock the parking brake on his own.

Attachments

• Wozek-Rolka-Rolki-Pod-Kolo-Kola-Transport-Laweta-1.jpeg
    Wozek-Rolka-Rolki-Pod-Kolo-Kola-Transport-Laweta-1.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 15
Have you checked the manual and followed the instructions of what to do if the keyless entry/ignition stops working, usually there is a spot on the steering column you need to hold the key right next to and it can then read the key and start, usually when there is a fault with the keyless system or the key battery has gone flat

Have you checked the manual and followed the instructions of what to do if the keyless entry/ignition stops working, usually there is a spot on the steering column you need to hold the key right next to and it can then read the key and start, usually when there is a fault with the keyless system or the key battery has gone flat

With the 500x the RFH (Radio Frequency Hub) which controls the whole system is located at the rear of the car. Unlike the normal chipped ignition key and ignition lock the START button does not to my knowledge have a key sensing antenna.

The RFH hub receives/detects the fobik key with 5 antennas. The are located in the

Aerial Name Aerial position.
1 Rear left door
2 Rear right door
3 Rear bumper
4 Central tunnel
5 Tailgate

Number 4 is the nearest to the driver so try putting the key on the central tunnel by the handbrake switch or in the bottom of the central tunnel glove/storage box area.

Back