Technical Electronic Handbrake doesn't always release

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic Handbrake doesn't always release

I've seen a few mentions of this behaviour on different "brakes" or "moody car" related posts.

Mine (1.0ltr Sport) is brand new (Jan 2022 anyway) and the handbrake occasionally doesn't release... perhaps around 1% of the time. It's a PITA when it happens but it doesn't seem like an actual fault, rather more like something is missing the instruction to do the releasing thing.

I've been experimenting trying to provoke it.. but I haven''t been able to spot any pattern to it. I tried turning the ignition "off" (as you might when stuck in a bad jam), applying the handbrake both before and after the ignition is killed; I tried applying the h/brake before and after S/S has cut the engine but with the ignition on... and I've tried holding it on a hill using the footbrake for a while before applying the h/brake.. but I can't get it to do it, no matter what.

I dunno if anyone else has more idea how it works and how it can become confused or fooled not to release... but apart from the intermittent wiper operation, which seems to delight in annoying me.. the handbrake 1% failure is the only narky thing the car does, so it'd be interesting to get to the bottom of it.

Ralf S.

I've seen a few mentions of this behaviour on different "brakes" or "moody car" related posts.

Mine (1.0ltr Sport) is brand new (Jan 2022 anyway) and the handbrake occasionally doesn't release... perhaps around 1% of the time. It's a PITA when it happens but it doesn't seem like an actual fault, rather more like something is missing the instruction to do the releasing thing.

I've been experimenting trying to provoke it.. but I haven''t been able to spot any pattern to it. I tried turning the ignition "off" (as you might when stuck in a bad jam), applying the handbrake both before and after the ignition is killed; I tried applying the h/brake before and after S/S has cut the engine but with the ignition on... and I've tried holding it on a hill using the footbrake for a while before applying the h/brake.. but I can't get it to do it, no matter what.

I dunno if anyone else has more idea how it works and how it can become confused or fooled not to release... but apart from the intermittent wiper operation, which seems to delight in annoying me.. the handbrake 1% failure is the only narky thing the car does, so it'd be interesting to get to the bottom of it.

Ralf S.
The joys of Italian car ownership.

I have to ask, what on earth does anyone ever think is the value of an electronic brake. Hill assist HBA yes I can just about understand but handbrake I think is a stupid idea. I would far rather a mechanical system even with all the draw backs. Another example of progress and change for no sensible reason. There is far too much of this these days. Yes you can do it but overall what is the point. (Rant over)

Usually the car won't release the handbrake unless the footbrake is pushed on a lot of cars, sometimes it will be related to the seatbelts not being plugged

it depends how it works normally and how you use it. Our countryman, if you have your seatbelt on and you go to drive off the handbrake will release automatically if your seatbelt is not in then it will not release unless you do it manually. It may be some errant glitch in the programming for the handbrake and actually the car just needs a software update at the next service.

Identical to wife’s Renegade, has to be operated manually if drivers seat belt isn’t in (so we use a universal clip wehn driving on farm). It CAN get confused IF you don’t follow the procedure for switch off.
We noticed that if we don’t follow the ‘release foot brake before switching off ignition’ it sometimes sticks on them suddenly realises it’s only is stopping briefly.
Also, if you haven’t followed the procedure and switch off, it sometimes takes a bit more ‘rev’ to get it to come off wehn you restart it.
Wehn it first did it we had it checked but Jeep found no fault, or fault codes stored. The renegade ‘branch’ of the Jeep forum has reported some handbrake solenoid issues, but not consistent faults??? We’re putting it down to a ‘ghost in the machine’

Ralf S.
See https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/500x-buyers-advice.500026/post-4681428

It is a new Italian game for 500X/other Fiat drivers :)

Joking aside I've looked in the 500X eLearn and there is little information on the Electronic Park Brake (EPB) System and it's operation other than it exists and this:

1683877306943.png

Last edited:
Hmmm... interesting.

I have to add, In normal driving, I only tend to use the "drive away" feature; that is, just move to drive off while the handbrake is still applied. The car releases the handbrake automatically as soon as the clutch reaches its bite point, where I usually pause for a split second until the whirring of the solenoids has stopped before giving it more clutch/gas.

It always works if I release it using the switch and my foot on the foot-brake.... but I tend to only do that when reversing off the drive.

It's interesting that the drive-away needs the accelerator to be pressed. I'm wondering whether when it fails, I'm not using enough accelerator pedal. Once it's failed to release, trying to drive through it (using more clutch and more gas) doesn't usually give it the hint... so it could be that it needs a minimum of gas pedal from the outset, otherwise it becomes moody and only releases if you put the brake on..?

I'll try working it through more scenarios next time I'm out..

Ralf S.

Well the info for EPB does say "the accelerator is pressed to move the vehicle". I tend to be very gently or not really at all on the accelerator when taking off on the level so this could be the cause of some of my EPB release failures. However that does not account for failures on hill starts with trailer/caravan in tow because throttle is required to avoid stalling. Maybe not being on the level adds just some more confusion to the release algorithm the car is trying to implement/use.

I also don't often use a lot of revs... so that might be it... but on a couple of occasions where it's happened and I've not been dozing, I've been able to react quickly enough to dip the clutch in order to try again.

That doesn't usually make any difference, as if once it's failed to release, the car will not be convinced to release at the second time of asking... Only "usually" though... since I'm sure that one time it did decide that I was serious about moving and it did let go. 😅

Normally when it sticks I tend to have to do the footbrake and button.. much to the joy of cars behind.

Ralf S.

Occasionally happens if vehicle is wet and I guess the pads stick to the rotor. Although in that setting when you take EPB off, you hear the mechanism release. Just drive off.

Back