Off Topic Ebay.....ERM..........

Currently reading:
Off Topic Ebay.....ERM..........

Bad as in repeating yearly fails of under body corrosion, welding, etc, the list was very long each year. But its the mileage that bothers me. Hasn't changed since 2006, so obviously car has done more miles, so I can't trust anything, especially cambelt etc. Just not worth the risk now.

Hopefully he is OK about it, seems OK so far, just said "speedo doesn't work that's all" (so what else has he decided not to mention until I ask?), I can handle a black mark on my eBay account, that's just a mark, at least I still have my £500.

I want a project yes, but this one has turned out, on paper, to be far more than advertised.

I suspect that you won the auction at a price that the car is worth, and if you had to spend £1000-£1500 getting it sorted you would probably break even in terms of car quality vs overall cost.

I think it was risky bidding on a car you haven't inspected, especially a car with the problematic reputation of the X1/9. But, in my opinion, you have ultimately made the right call in leaving the car alone. There is no way an honest seller would advertise a car without at the very least mentioning the speedo doesn't work - doesn't really inspire confidence.

I hope you find a more genuine example soon, but make sure it is soon - I am hoping to buy one in the not too distant future and I don't want any rival buyers getting in the way :p

You're right Dominion, I do feel bad about bidding before getting my facts straight, but, thats how it goes sometimes. The auction was about to end anyway, so i took a chance (I didnt bid way before it was due to end), I figured with only 30 mins left, I can bid, see what happens and try to see how honest the car/seller is afterwards. The chap wont lose out, he will get his fees back when he files a non paying bidder complaint, which I will fully comply with.

What I believe, is I have uncovered a less honest car than described in the AD, much as i'd be happy with a project, i get the distinct impression this car is hiding more, more than just a faulty speedo. I dont want to have to rebuild the whole car, i only wanted what was described, a working car that needed an engine tune and bodywork, thats not what the car is, in my opinion.

At least I havent dithered, ive made a decision and thats that, i think the next one i look at though I will be considerably more cautious before any rash actions!

I suspect that you won the auction at a price that the car is worth, and if you had to spend £1000-£1500 getting it sorted you would probably break even in terms of car quality vs overall cost.

I think it was risky bidding on a car you haven't inspected, especially a car with the problematic reputation of the X1/9. But, in my opinion, you have ultimately made the right call in leaving the car alone. There is no way an honest seller would advertise a car without at the very least mentioning the speedo doesn't work - doesn't really inspire confidence.

I hope you find a more genuine example soon, but make sure it is soon - I am hoping to buy one in the not too distant future and I don't want any rival buyers getting in the way :p

Back