General easy way to remove rear bushes - enviro friendly

Currently reading:
General easy way to remove rear bushes - enviro friendly

Have my arms and brakes off, so fitting the rear powerflex.

I read about burning them out, but didn't want to get stinky etc.

Not sure if anyone's done them like this before, but you need:

hex headed bolt
2 leg hub puller

Put the bolt in the metal sleeve, place the pullers feet on the insert lip, tighten (y)

Wear glasses and protection, if the puller slips off, it had a LOAD of potential energy, and stuff travels 10+ meters! Not nice if it hits you in the head.

Takes about 4 mins per bush.

Here are the pics (y)

22102007(003).jpg 22102007(002).jpg

22102007.jpg 22102007(001).jpg

Now I read a tip about removing the metal sleeves, but can't find it. Any ideas??

Cheers,

Kristian

I took one look at the rears and said something along the lines of, "Sod this, I'm taking them to my local friendly garage". :D

Fronts were pretty easy though, bought some studding, washers and nuts and made a puller. Then let the pyromaniac inside me have a field day as I burnt the front ones that are on the 'dowel' off. :devil:

I took one look at the rears and said something along the lines of, "Sod this, I'm taking them to my local friendly garage". :D

Fronts were pretty easy though, bought some studding, washers and nuts and made a puller. Then let the pyromaniac inside me have a field day as I burnt the front ones that are on the 'dowel' off. :devil:

So, you produced more polution in 1 Hr than the car engine in one month??
COOL!

I persisted in the hacksawing of the sleeve, then I thought I wonder what would happen if I tap the part of the sleeve thats got a lip on it, I tapped it away from me with a chisel and hammer and it just flew out!! (y)

I'll give that a bash first...finally found it lol.

I'm not lazy :p I've just got to do the bushes, collect the custom hoses, fit the rear brakes (discs), and get it all running by thursday....and this is just in the hour or two after work, by inspection lamp on the drive in the freezing cold lol

Kristian

I'll give that a bash first...finally found it lol.

I'm not lazy :p I've just got to do the bushes, collect the custom hoses, fit the rear brakes (discs), and get it all running by thursday....and this is just in the hour or two after work, by inspection lamp on the drive in the freezing cold lol

Kristian

Fook that! Kitchens usually the next best thing to a garage after being chucked out the living room.:woot: :nono:
Mind you, Burnings no good as it's illegal to smoke at the work place these days... Fckers.

So, you produced more polution in 1 Hr than the car engine in one month??
COOL!

I'm afraid I probably did :eek: Although I did try alternatives before hand. I gave it hell with a vice and all my might before hand. Plus a go with a hacksaw - but then noticed the bush is reinforced with metal. Once the torch warms them up they slip straight off! They were brand new bushes on new arms, so didn't have the advantage of them being 'pre-loosened' as it were.

I'm afraid I probably did :eek: Although I did try alternatives before hand. I gave it hell with a vice and all my might before hand. Plus a go with a hacksaw - but then noticed the bush is reinforced with metal. Once the torch warms them up they slip straight off! They were brand new bushes on new arms, so didn't have the advantage of them being 'pre-loosened' as it were.

Yeah! they are a pain in the rear. Probably be easier than getting a £1 from dave!!
My friend took his to a dealership and got them removed for a tenner.
They have all the top tools, Pulls them out in less than 10 seconds each.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not suggest burning rubber as A, it stinks, and B, i believe one of the gasses given off is cyanide, and the residue contains strong acids (or is it alkalis?) thats why you must never go near a burnt out car, all the burnt rubber is very dangerous.

When I did my rears I used the studding method to pull the rubber bits out, then the hacksaw to cut the sleeves out. But I did two cuts along the sleeev, about 5mm apart, then hammered out the little slither with a small drift, then the outer sleeved just fell out.

The 'easy' way of doing it is use a hydraulic press, but looking at the shape of the arms, it would not be easy to just drop in in the press, i think some bracketry may need making up first.

Stop being lazy. Exercise is good for you. 20 min job MAX,,, Honest!

Well, I know your a stronger man than me! not hard really! Took me almost 2h 30m to get the sleeves out of the arm and fit the poly bushes.

I still have the other side to do :eek: That's tomorrows job though lol.

Started the night with hammer meets thumb incident so now have a black nail, and it went down from there lol.

I cut the arms a bit with the saw, but shouldn't be an issue (y)

I knew it was a pig of a job though, so at least i was prepared.

Kristian

Yeah! they are a pain in the rear. Probably be easier than getting a £1 from dave!!
My friend took his to a dealership and got them removed for a tenner.
They have all the top tools, Pulls them out in less than 10 seconds each.

Ok! Who's been editing?? I know i didn't write the dave bit as my keyboards screwed up and the pound sign aint available...:p

Back