dumping Virginmedia and using Sky+HD with seperate speaker solution?

Currently reading:
dumping Virginmedia and using Sky+HD with seperate speaker solution?

As said what about Optical out for Surround? As you know I'm currently in the research stage for a system.

I'm glad you've mentioned it only does Stereo over HDMI. As I was going to go HDMI -> TV then TOSLINK from TV to Cinema System. That way anything I display on TV will end up on the cinema system sound.

Now I guess I'm going to have to go direct from SKY+ to Cinema System on TOSLINK and bypass TV if I want to get Dolby?

The Panasonic SC-HTR210 Home Cinema TV Stand System has no rear speakers, only front, centre and sub so its not capable of producing 5.1 surround sound even if it were given a 5.1 surround signal by a Sky or Virgin box.

So lip sync is the only problem and optical is the easiest, cheapest, neatest and most usual way to solving it.

Edit
A Belkin Silver Series PureAV TOS-Link is well worth the extra few quid.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2m-Belkin-Silver-Series-PureAV-TOS-Link-Optical-Cable-/190499310570

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The Panasonic SC-HTR210 Home Cinema TV Stand System has no rear speakers, only front, centre and sub so its not capable of producing 5.1 surround sound even if it were given a 5.1 surround signal by a Sky or Virgin box.

So lip sync is the only problem and optical is the easiest, cheapest, neatest and most usual way to solving it.

Edit
A Belkin Silver Series PureAV TOS-Link is well worth the extra few quid.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2m-Belkin-Silver-Series-PureAV-TOS-Link-Optical-Cable-/190499310570

it produces a surround effect,I had noticed the lack of rear speakers :confused:
using optical with the V+ box isnt what i wanted to do
plus folks have been having issues with the V+ box over optical longer than i have over HDMI
I dont believe in rewarding failure. I gave VM ample time to at least show willing on the problems

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
it produces a surround effect,I had noticed the lack of rear speakers :confused:

True 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 surround requires rear speakers.

The Panasonic SC-HTR210 Home Cinema TV Stand System has no rear speakers so all it can produce is a variety of Stereo effects from a Stereo source like Sky or Virgin boxes by delaying certain frequencies of the output and moving them between channels.

using optical with the V+ box isnt what i wanted to do
plus folks have been having issues with the V+ box over optical longer than i have over HDMI

Optical is an old and trusted way of supplying amps etc. with audio. Myself and friends have used optical many times including from a VM HD box without any problems. Of course if the device its plugged into creates a delay(lip sync) problem, then maybe its time to buy a better quality device?

I dont believe in rewarding failure. I gave VM ample time to at least show willing on the problems

Me neither, VM is crap compared to Sky IMO. You made the right choice swapping to Sky. They give much higher bandwidth to each channel resulting in better picture and sound quality.

You said earlier there is no lip sync(delay) when the box is plugged direct into your TV, so the lip sync(delay) problem is being caused by the Panasonic SC-HTR210 Home Cinema TV Stand System, thats not Virgins fault.

Last edited:
True 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 surround requires rear speakers.

The Panasonic SC-HTR210 Home Cinema TV Stand System has no rear speakers so all it can produce is a variety of Stereo effects from a Stereo source like Sky or Virgin boxes by delaying certain frequencies of the output and moving them between channels.

Optical is an old and trusted way of supplying amps etc. with audio. Myself and friends have used optical many times including from a VM HD box without any problems.

Me neither, VM is crap compared to Sky IMO. You made the right choice swapping to Sky. They give much higher bandwidth to each channel resulting in better picture and sound quality.

You said earlier there is no lip sync(delay) when the box is plugged direct into your TV, so the lip sync(delay) problem is being caused by the Panasonic SC-HTR210 Home Cinema TV Stand System, thats not Virgins fault.

its a fault of the way their equipment acts
otherwise why doesnt anything else connected via HDMI cause this issue?

its a fault of the way their equipment acts
otherwise why doesnt anything else connected via HDMI cause this issue?

I can't comment on "why doesnt anything else connected via HDMI cause this issue" as I'd need detailed specs of your equipment. What I can tell you is there are lots of versions of HDMI, for example:

HDMI v1
HDMI v1.1
HDMI v1.1a
HDMI v1.1b
HDMI v1.2
HDMI v1.3 (Cat2 I recommend)
HDMI v1.4

As manufactures have upgraded their devices they become less compatible with older devices, this may be whats causing your lip sync problem.

Good quality HDMI cables help too.

Edit
The key for consumers to remember is that HDMI has consistently enabled a variety of the most innovative new technologies (whether they be DVD Audio, SACD, 1080p/60, etc.). However, in many cases, it is up to each manufacturer to choose which features to implement in any given product. The manufacturer can thus use its knowledge of the market to choose the mix of features that makes sense for its customers. So, customers must choose devices that have the features that they want (instead of focusing on which version of HDMI is implemented by the device.). Consumers interested in confirming whether a particular consumer electronics product supports DVD-Audio or any other feature over HDMI are urged to review users’ manuals and product reviews and check with manufacturers directly.
http://www.hdmi.org

Last edited:
I can't comment on "why doesnt anything else connected via HDMI cause this issue" as I'd need detailed specs of your equipment. What I can tell you is there are lots of versions of HDMI, for example:

HDMI v1
HDMI v1.1
HDMI v1.1a
HDMI v1.1b
HDMI v1.2
HDMI v1.3 (Cat2 I recommend)
HDMI v1.4

As manufactures have upgraded their devices they become less compatible with older devices, this may be whats causing your lip sync problem.

Good quality HDMI cables help too.

all good excuses,so what about those with a myriad of set ups having the same problems?
are the all out of date and using crap cables?

all good excuses,so what about those with a myriad of set ups having the same problems?
are the all out of date and using crap cables?

Due to cost, most people tend to build their systems over a period of time, sometimes this can be years, so compatability issuses can arise. Doing a bit of research before hand can help avoid it.

Quality of cables and their effects has been debated for many years. I believe in buying the best one can afford thereby making every effort to minimise any issues.

I've been using 2 meter long Monster M series HDMI cables for the last 2 years to connect my PS3 and my Sky HD to my TV.
Because the PS3 has a higher output than Sky HD I use a higher spec cable. As you can see from the attached pic I just took one has a red band, this is the Ultra-High Speed cable that Monster produced.

Attachments

• Monster HDMI.JPG
    Monster HDMI.JPG
    844.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
so you are saying i should spunk out a few hundred on an HDMI cable on the off chance it fixes VMs problem,?

As I've already said your problem is most likely a compatibility issue due to manufacturers updating their devices. In your case its due to the Panasonic SC-HTR210 Home Cinema TV Stand System. Your TV is compatable and handles the signal from the VM box perfectly, so maybe you should be on the phone to Panasonic, not VM?

I don't think you should "spunk out a few hundred on an HDMI cable" as it wont cure your lip sync problem. That can only be done in 2 ways, buy a compatible device or use something other than HDMI to carry the audio signal.
However, good quality cables will improve any system so buy the best you can.

Edit
If you do plan on updating your cables give these Monster HDMI v1.4's a try. I hear they're good for the most challenging of jobs, 3D TV for example. Only £9.99.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/v1-4-MONSTER-CABLE-QUALITY-HDMI-HD-LEAD-FULL-1080p-3DTV-/230607055606

Last edited:
so any issues with the VM boxes are down to the equipment? yet the work fine with Sky and the new VM Tivo boxes?
I will pass on your wise words to everyone having problems
also,how do you explain the V+ working fine before with the panny set up?

Last edited:
so any issues with the VM boxes are down to the equipment? yet the work fine with Sky and the new VM Tivo boxes?
I will pass on your wise words to everyone having problems
also,how do you explain the V+ working fine before with the panny set up?

Of course its down to the equipment a person uses. Its the compatibility to other HDMI devices that matters. :confused:

Someone spends a couple of thousand pounds and buys 3 devices only to find they have a compatibilty issue. Of course it must the manufacturers fault. No way could it be they're own fault for not doing a little research before purchasing. :shrug:

Of course its down to the equipment a person uses. Its the compatibility to other HDMI devices that matters. :confused:

Someone spends a couple of thousand pounds and buys 3 devices only to find they have a compatibilty issue. Of course it must the manufacturers fault. No way could it be they're own fault for not doing a little research before purchasing. :shrug:

so how would you research a fault that didnt exist a year ago?

Back