Tuning Dump valve

Currently reading:
Tuning Dump valve

Bravojosh

I want a dump valve that's loud an was wondering what the best one would be to get a roughly how much one will set me back for the valve and the fitting kit

I have taken the standard turbo recycle of my Tjet and fitted a breather filter to the electronic dump valve and it sounds pretty loud :) just had to block off the whole in the intake and works perfectly. Fitting a custom induction kit very soon as getting a gsr is impossible....

Attachments

• 1375678752232.jpg
    1375678752232.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 247
Just to clarify, the air from the valve is exiting through the filer?

I was curious how this would sound on my Bravo.. will have to give it a try.
If you can post additional photos i will be grateful.

Yep air runs straight through filter, sounds quiet loud and is so easy to do :) any questions just ask... Here's a few more pics if you need some more just ask :)

Attachments

• 1375696632377.jpg
    1375696632377.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 1375696641155.jpg
    1375696641155.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 233
Just so you know: dumping the compressed air atmospheric will mean that you lose a little power because the original installation of the hoses back to the suction side of the turbocharger, it recycles to another compression, being an advantage for the induction.

When I write a little it is because other cars with air mass sensor suffers more, because that the measured air that gets dumped, means a richer mixture than expected and hence, less effect than requested by the ECU.

Last edited:
On MAP equipped cars you should actually gain power (at least, when you get back on the throttle -- the BOV will only open when you come off the gas) as the turbo will tend to maintain speed. On MAF equipped cars, the ECU will temporarily loose the plot. Thus, manufacturers specify a recirculating valve (dumps to the inlet, rather than atmosphere).

So basically this mod will make you lose power if you don't have a MAS? However if you do it shouldn't affect things too much? All in all I'm not sure this is a such a good mod... I certainly don't want to take away any power, can anyone recommend what to do? Should it be removed and if so how should I go about getting that dump valve sound?

I tried it today and i must say it sounds awsum. Dumps loudly even when not boosting much. I didn't notice any performance difference or it taking longer to spool up. Seems fine but if there is a chance of losing power then i will rather leave it stock.

After much reading I've found out that if installed correctly leaving the original electronic bov on and fitting a small filter as I have is completely fine and will cause no engine management problems and no loss off power. This is because the original system is still in place and working as it was so no warnings and the standard turbo, vl37 on mine spools up so easily anyway removing the recirc that feeds it makes no difference to power. I may be wrong but it appears that's what is been said in many places ans I agree as I have had this fitted for some time for long and short trips and it has not skipped a beat :D I have also heard that you can install a blow off valve instead off a small filter for a nicer dump sound :) there cheap on ebay....

However many have said a good induction kit with the recirc connected will give some nice dump sound through the intake.... I'm not so sure this will be that loud but I intended to fit a induction kit in the next few days and will try both and compare sounds :p

So basically this mod will make you lose power if you don't have a MAS? However if you do it shouldn't affect things too much? All in all I'm not sure this is a such a good mod... I certainly don't want to take away any power, can anyone recommend what to do? Should it be removed and if so how should I go about getting that dump valve sound?

A MAS? If you have a MAF, you may loose power (but I doubt it), if you have a MAP, you won't. But I'm unsure which system your car uses.

A MAS? If you have a MAF, you may loose power (but I doubt it), if you have a MAP, you won't. But I'm unsure which system your car uses.

I think the bravo should have a MAP sensor, just like many modern cars because theyre an improvement over MAF sensors. The intake setup indicates so too

I believe your right and as far as I am aware the Tjet has a MAP sensor too, I've been running this for some time now without any problems.... Fitted temporary induction kit yesterday it sounds nice and acceleration is vastly improved :D I am building my own hoping it will be similar to gsr however couldn't wait to hear my turbo spool up so stuck this on For a week till my parts arrive... It's a bit crude but it's only for a week.....

Attachments

• 1375942052151.jpg
    1375942052151.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 117
Thanx i copied u!!! Sounds good and can just pull off and plug pipe in when it goes for service so the dealers don't know:)

Yer it's easy to reverse for a service or whatever you need to do.... Just make sure the whole in the intake is blocked well and nothing can enter the intake unless it's ment to through filter :) can't wait to get proper induction kit sorted :D

Back