dull vs toilet cleaner

Currently reading:
dull vs toilet cleaner

Right so someone asked me at work if i would rather sign on or get a job as a toilet cleaner.

and i chose the signing on option as i said it was degrading being a toilet cleaner and i wouldnt want to do a job that can be done by just about anyone (monkeys included).

i then got lectured on why i shouldnt think in this way and ended up that its the "youth of todays" problem.

this arguement then went on a bit and another person joined in and it turned out the 2 people i was arguing in have both been on the dull at some point in their life. (i have never been on the dull)

and when i said i pay my taxes so i feel i could get something back they slated me yet there excuses were we were young and will spend the rest of our life paying taxes.

what are your thoughts people?

this quite annoyed me!!!!

3 comments:
a) Old saying: Do honor to the work you do.
b) Old saying: Work at something you love and you will never work a day in your life.
c) being self sufficient is very honorable, and before social welfare, it was the only way to live.

its called the dole, not dull, and technically the dole was stopped a long time ago and you have to call it jobseekers allowance. i've claimed it 3 times in the past, once for 9 months when i was not entitled because i was a full time student, but my tutor told me i should claim it and she would fill out the forms to make sure i got it (she did this for all of us), this was fraud but it seems it was the norm at that college (hartlepool c f e).

i will always claim every benefit i can simply because i can and its free money, and if i dont get it someone else will. i contribute far more to this country than i would like to, so i want to get back anything i can whenever i can. the system isnt fair so i wont play fair.

it is human nature to choose the best option for yourself, not the best option for your community or country. we all obey our nature. given the choice between working a crap job and not working, and in both cases getting very similar reward for it, you would have to be a fool to take the crap job. you should not feel guilty for making that choice, it is the right choice, and a natural one, the people who should feel guilty are the people who give you that choice, the govt. people can only take advantage of the benefits system if we have a soft benefits system, you cant blame people for accepting free money, they'd be mad not to, if it wasnt avialable then they couldnt do it.

we should scrap most of the benefits available in the uk, they are not needed, more than that they are damaging the economy and creating a culture of dependance on the state. if everyone was forced to earn thier money it would solve a lot of our problems. i know there are genuine cases where people need support, but there cases are far fewer than the number of claims currently getting paid. if you cant stop having kids, or feel depressed, or have a bad back, i really dont give a toss you should be out working or living in poverty, i shouldnt have to support you. if you have severe disabilites then fair enough you are excused and i'm happy for my taxes to keep you, if you're elderly and have no one to look after you then i'm happy for my taxes to pay for a nursing home and nurses, but if you're a lazy prick hiding behind an excuse to avoid working then you deserve to be stabbed in the eye, but i still dont blame you for it, i blame the govt for allowing it.

i have friends who are lazy pricks, they dont want to work, arent willing to work, yet they think they deserve to be looked after by the state, with all their needs catered for. they sit at home all day playing computer games and surfing the net and getting stoned, all for free, in a house/flat they live in for free, they dont pay council tax, its a bloody disgrace, but as they say "it beats working in a crap job".

Last edited:
its called the dole, not dull, and technically the dole was stopped a long time ago and you have to call it jobseekers allowance. i've claimed it 3 times in the past, once for 9 months when i was not entitled because i was a full time student, but my tutor told me i should claim it and she would fill out the forms to make sure i got it (she did this for all of us), this was fraud but it seems it was the norm at that college (hartlepool c f e).

i will always claim every benefit i can simply because i can and its free money, and if i dont get it someone else will. i contribute far more to this country than i would like to, so i want to get back anything i can whenever i can. the system isnt fair so i wont play fair.

it is human nature to choose the best option for yourself, not the best option for your community or country. we all obey our nature. given the choice between working a crap job and not working, and in both cases getting very similar reward for it, you would have to be a fool to take the crap job. you should not feel guilty for making that choice, it is the right choice, and a natural one, the people who should feel guilty are the people who give you that choice, the govt. people can only take advantage of the benefits system if we have a soft benefits system, you cant blame people for accepting free money, they'd be mad not to, if it wasnt avialable then they couldnt do it.

we should scrap most of the benefits available in the uk, they are not needed, more than that they are damaging the economy and creating a culture of dependance on the state. if everyone was forced to earn thier money it would solve a lot of our problems. i know there are genuine cases where people need support, but there cases are far fewer than the number of claims currently getting paid.

i was trying to put this point accross but i tend to get agressive when arguing my point and 1 of the people i was having this discussion with was my boss.

then it moved onto immigrants and they started todefend them and was saying stuff like the only reason these immigrants have jobs is because none of the "youth" of today is prepared to do these jobs but they r the first people to moan about the immigrant situation.

i had to leave at this point because i was on my way somewhere not out of anger lol. But its bo11ox as loads of immigrants work illegally and that does take work away from british citizens.

rant over

as an economist i believe in market forces, our labour market has demands that are not fulfilled by the uk labour force, this creates a need for foreign workers. this happens in different ways, we need the most highly skilled workers such as doctors because there arent enough british docs to satisfy our needs, but we also need people at the other end of the scale to do basic manual labour because an increasing number of brits are not willing to do these jobs. we need foreign labour, without it the economy would suffer. if british people were able to satisfy the labour marekt's needs, and they were also wiling, then foreing workers wouldnt be needed and they would find it very difficult to move here, but that isnt the case.

Last edited:
as an economist i believe in market forces, our labour market has demands that are not fulfilled by the uk labour force, this creates a need to foreign workings. this happens in different ways, we need the most highly skilled workers such as doctors because there arent enough british docs to satisfy our needs, but we also need people at the other end of the scale to do basic manual labour because an increasing number of brits are not willing to do these jobs. we need foreign labour, without it the economy would suffer.

i think this has only happened becuase we let it get to this point.

it could of been avoided im sure there was times when britain survived on its own? maybe not aswell as it is now but thats life we should have to adapt to cope.

demand for labour in the uk changes more quickly than our workforce can adapt, this is why we experience such large unemployment when major change happens, such as the death of the coal ming industry. you cant tell a coal miner than things have changed and now he need to work in the service sector becasue that is the only area with growth. he'll say "i'm a coal miner, i dont know how to do anything else". when there is a need for workers and you dont have the workers you need, you either import workers or export operations, you cant change the skills of workers to suit your needs as easily or quickly.

Last edited:
demand for labour in the uk changes more quickly than our workforce can adapt, this is why we experience such large unemployment when major change happens, such as the death of the coal ming industry. you cant tell a coal miner than things have changed and now he need to work in the service sector becasue that is the only area with growth. he'll say "i'm a coal miner, i dont know how to do anything else". when there is a need for workers and you dont have the workers you need, you either import workers or export operations, you cant change the skills of workers to suit your needs as easily or quickly.

point taken.

BUT what about the ones coming over here for educational purposes that also annoys me.

i no im jumping around a bit subject wise but im seriously annoyed.

foreign students are critical to the survival of many universities, i went to northumbria and sunderland universities, both could not exist without the foreign students and the huge fees they pay. i once compained that my course was filled with people who did not have the english language skills required to contribute in class or even do their assignments without cheating. i was told to keep quiet about it because they were the people who were paying for the great facilities i had available to me, and at the end of the day it takes more than a degree to be competitive in the uk labour market so "does it really matter if we sell degrees to them". a british education is one of our most successful exports, and its very profitable, so we do right to take advantage.

Last edited:
Right so someone asked me at work if i would rather sign on or get a job as a toilet cleaner.

and i chose the signing on option as i said it was degrading being a toilet cleaner and i wouldnt want to do a job that can be done by just about anyone (monkeys included).

i then got lectured on why i shouldnt think in this way and ended up that its the "youth of todays" problem.

Kind of interesting that you think being employed as a toilet cleaner and earning a wage (plus having more money than dole) is degrading but having to go and sign on and live on benefits is not?

Put yourself into the shoes of an employer interviewing people. You ask a potential candidate what they have been doing prior to applying for the job. They tell you that they've been unable to find the job they want and needed some money. So they took the job of 'toilet cleaner' to keep them going until they could take the job they really wanted. Then you get the next potential candidate come in and they are asked the same question. Their response is that they couldn't find the job they wanted so they chose to go on the dole instead.

Now, if you are the employer carrying out the interviews - which candidate would look more committed and shows more determination to make something of themselves?

It's a shame that we have become so snobby in this country that we value being on the dole higher than we do a simple job earning money because we believe only lesser people should do those jobs :(

Last edited:
Kind of interesting that you think being employed as a toilet cleaner and earning a wage (plus having more money than dole) is degrading but having to go and sign on and live on benefits is not?

Put yourself into the shoes of an employer interviewing people. You ask a potential candidate what they have been doing prior to applying for the job. They tell you that they've been unable to find the job they want and needed some money. So they took the job of 'toilet cleaner' to keep them going until they could take the job they really wanted. Then you get the next potential candidate come in and they are asked the same question. Their response is that they couldn't find the job they wanted so they chose to go on the dole instead.

Now, if you are the employer carrying out the interviews - which candidate would look more committed and shows more determination to make something of themselves?

It's a shame that we have become so snobby in this country that we value being on the dole higher than we do a simple job earning money because we believe only lesser people should do those jobs :(

I agree. I cleaned toilets whilst I studied at college for extra money. There is no shame in doing what people seem to see as a "lesser job". Someone's got to do it, and the country relies on thousands of people who do similar jobs to support it's infrastructure.

"But its bo11ox as loads of immigrants work illegally and that does take work away from british citizens."

Immigrants (illegal or not) often take on just the sort of jobs you would turn your nose up at, so what's the problem?

Last edited:
A problem thats comming more apparant is 'brain loss' in the form of middle class highly trained professionals moving abroad where costs of living are cheaper, housing is good, salary's are in line with what you get here if not more and there not suffering from rediculous immigration.

Back