Dull light after replacing fused headlight bulb

Currently reading:
Dull light after replacing fused headlight bulb

eldadelo

I changed the left headlight bulb (55W 8V 7H) but the light is dull compared to the right headlight, facing down a bit. could it be in a wrong angle? I put another bulb and the problem continues. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? How do I make the angle right?

Thanks

First remove bulb and compare it with the old one. Sometimes the bulb is welded to its holder at the wrong angle.
If that's ok, compare it with the right headlight to check if they are both the same. If previously someone has fitted a higher output bulb, the new one will appear dim.
Next, make sure that the bulb is seated into its lamp properly. It is usually easy to get it not flat.
Only then adjust the beam. On the top or back of the lamp should be two screws, one adjusts height, the other left/right. Point it at a wall, from about a car length away and make them the same. These adjusters can get a bit tight, be gentle, don't break them. Your handbook may show their locations, some do.

Bill, didn't find any screws but as I was looking for it, found out the whole unit holding the set of lights was loose and therefore facing a bit down (while The other side headlight is firm). Cannot find a way to make it stay straight (I can stuff something in there but want to do it right)
Is there some socket that holds it? Should I take it to the garage?

Is it the whole lamp that is loose in the car? If so, find and tighten the mountings. But that is simple, so probably not the answer.

The inner lamp housing is usually sat on a peg and two screws, allowing it to pivot for adjustment. If it pops off the peg, like a ball and socket similar to the interior mirror, but smaller, it can be a real pig to put back on. Ideally you need the front lens off so that you can push. Can sometimes be done with fingers in through the bulb hole and pull, but care is needed to not break or distort the reflector and not to leave dirty fingermarks on the reflector. Clean cotton gloves are recommended, but not easily obtained. Best done with the lamp off the car, this will help see what you are doing, get the pull in the right direction and avoid breaking it.

You've not said what model it is so can't be more specific.

Sorry, don't know how I forgot to mention it. It's a Fiat Punto, 2004 model.
This car has a beam distance controller with 4 different angles; I cant control the beam anymore. I will try to do as you suggest tomorrow (It's too dark now).

Many thanks :)

The beam controller inside is to lower the lamps when carrying varying loads. Initial beam setting must be done with this in position zero. If this has no effect, the reflector has popped off the ball socket on the end of this motor.
If this is the model with the wide narrow lamps, this will be difficult, if its the later model with the big round lamps, it should be easier because you can get your hands in for more pull. Take the lamp out and good luck.

Back