Technical Ducato timing belt query

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato timing belt query

steveathome

Hi I am struggling to confirm the timing belt I need for my engine . The vehicle is a 2003 2.8 jtd campervan

The engine is 8140.43s .(does not have air con)

Belt descriptions on various suppliers show this as either 152 or 154 teeth belt. Can anyone confirm please so I can order prior to stripping it down.
Many thanks

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum. I have next to me the old belt removed from my 2.8jtd a few years ago. Definately 152 teeth on that, and I remember that it matched the replacement which was included in an SKF VKMA02383 kit along with rollers. My vehicle is low mileage, and the old rollers were in good condition. I recall thet even with the tension roller retracted as far as possible, I still struggled to get the belt into position, Perhaps that is why the slightly longer 154 tooth belt is suggested? That is assuming that the tension roller can take up the extra slack.

• Forum member @FreeSpirit has written a guide which is available in the downloads section.
  • In general I followed this guide, but I made my own version of the flywheel locking device.
  • Please note that the Guide Roller is 67mm dia, and the Tension Roller is 64mm dia.
  • When freeing the injector cables towards the front vehicle LH of engine bay, remove the whole bracket, not the lined cable clamp.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum. I have next to me the old belt removed from my 2.8jtd a few years ago. Definately 152 teeth on that, and I remember that it matched the replacement which was included in an SKF VKMA02383 kit along with rollers. My vehicle is low mileage, and the old rollers were in good condition. I recall thet even with the tension roller retracted as far as possible, I still struggled to get the belt into position, Perhaps that is why the slightly longer 154 tooth belt is suggested? That is assuming that the tension roller can take up the extra slack.

• Forum member @FreeSpirit has written a guide which is available in the downloads section.
  • In general I followed this guide, but I made my own version of the flywheel locking device.
  • Please note that the Guide Roller is 67mm dia, and the Tension Roller is 64mm dia.
  • When freeing the injector cables towards the front vehicle LH of engine bay, remove the whole bracket, not the lined cable clamp.
Thanks for your reply. I believe the 154 teeth belt was used on the 2.5 model which uses rollers of the same size so that may make sense

What sort of cost can I expect for a timing belt on a 2.8 td auto Motorhome 04 please?

Hello!

My information says also that the 152 teeth belt should be the correct one. Are you planning to replace the belt yourself?

With the 2.8jtd it seems highly recommended to replace all rollers and tensioner as well. I am planning to do my timing belt within half a year as well. I have some guide in Dutch somewhere as how the correct way is to put the belt on.. as the ratio of the camshaft and crankshaft wheel is 1 to 2. They say its easy to put it just off timing therefor. Also be aware that it does matter, regardless whether you have a common rail, that the fuel pump is set correctly on time.

Seems to be quite a tricky job as far as i heard.. so wondering whether to do this myself out there on the street somewhere, or leave it up to a garage. 🤔

Will later see if i can find the instructions and translate ut to english

What sort of cost can I expect for a timing belt on a 2.8 td auto Motorhome 04 please?
An educated guess woulf be in the region of £300 to £500. More if you go to Fiat Professional.
Hello!

My information says also that the 152 teeth belt should be the correct one. Are you planning to replace the belt yourself?

With the 2.8jtd it seems highly recommended to replace all rollers and tensioner as well. I am planning to do my timing belt within half a year as well. I have some guide in Dutch somewhere as how the correct way is to put the belt on.. as the ratio of the camshaft and crankshaft wheel is 1 to 2. They say its easy to put it just off timing therefor. Also be aware that it does matter, regardless whether you have a common rail, that the fuel pump is set correctly on time.

Seems to be quite a tricky job as far as i heard.. so wondering whether to do this myself out there on the street somewhere, or leave it up to a garage. 🤔

Will later see if i can find the instructions and translate ut to english
Danny please note there is already an excellent guide posted by @FreeSpirit in the downloads section. The main comment that I would add is to be aware that the rollers are of slightly different diameters. Note which goes where.

UK law does not allow other than emergency repairs on the street.

Fiat are quoting £1500 but that includes the pump as well and I expect is a full kit. I was thinking about getting a standard mechanic to do it but it seems to be very precise and if it wasn’t right or an apprentice was doing it it could go very wrong. He said it was three to four hours labour? My van is an A class MoHo Neismann and Bischoff but an 04.

Access to the engine is more difficult on an "A" class motorhome, plus the vehicle takes up more space in the workshop. I think 4 hours work is in the right ballpark for a PVC or "C" class with standard access to engine bay. I took a lot longer than 4 hours when I changed my belt 3+ years ago.

Have you tried a web search fo "Ducato 2.8jtd cambelt change price". I know that the price question has been raised previously. £1500 could be interpreted as "We do not really want this work.".

Access to the engine is more difficult on an "A" class motorhome, plus the vehicle takes up more space in the workshop. I think 4 hours work is in the right ballpark for a PVC or "C" class with standard access to engine bay. I took a lot longer than 4 hours when I changed my belt 3+ years ago.

Have you tried a web search fo "Ducato 2.8jtd cambelt change price". I know that the price question has been raised previously. £1500 could be interpreted as "We do not really want this work.".

I don’t know what the cost of the parts would be but I think he said about £550 plus VAT🤣🤣🤣 maybe so but they charge £160 an hour at Fiat including VAT

Yes I tried that but it kept coming up at £300-500 which seemed to be a car

oie_6s8lSdrSK8gp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The above is double the price given by their other branch which feedback suggests that in this area the work should be about £600. I have also been told that several main dealers charge for their parts but fit aftermarket parts. Feeling like a bear with a sore one at present.

The above is double the price given by their other branch which feedback suggests that in this area the work should be about £600. I have also been told that several main dealers charge for their parts but fit aftermarket parts. Feeling like a bear with a sore one at present.
Where are you? Dave Newell in Telford, Shrops. is yer man. Knows his stuff with motorhomes, including not being a'feared if an A class. He did mine, full kit, plus new reverse light switch, air filter, oil change, and repaired air filter hosing and fitted new stainless screws too. 1 years ago, and change from £600- he does get busy, as he is superb and folk know it!

Was this quote just for cambelt and water pump change? If so why is lubricating oil (insufficient) and filter included. The need for the "trans belt" is questionable, but if it did fail it could damage the cambelt.........

I was intrigued by the last part on the list, which is described as a gasket, and priced at £68.48. I fed the part number less the leading zeroes into Ebay. It returned many offers of a rocker cover gasket, with a reputable supplier Coastal Motorhomes offering at £17.46. This was far from being the cheapest quote. I would not expect this gasket to be changed during a routine service, but I have changed it on my vehicle to cure a minor oil leak.

Another item that I picked on was "99461357/Fixed TI" at £58.70, and which Ebay recognises as a Timing Belt Idler Pulley, with a Dayco version offered at £23.50.

There are also some pricey bolts on the list, and why does a spacer need to be replaced?

As has been said "I/We don't want to do the job".

Where are you? Dave Newell in Telford, Shrops. is yer man. Knows his stuff with motorhomes, including not being a'feared if an A class. He did mine, full kit, plus new reverse light switch, air filter, oil change, and repaired air filter hosing and fitted new stainless screws too. 1 years ago, and change from £600- he does get busy, as he is superb and folk know it!
Thanks but in Surrey 😞

From some of those prices it seems I retired too soon, though at 70 I am not going back.;)
I tried to give up grovelling under cars 20yrs ago but the cost of simple things like simple maintenance ( oil/ filter air filter fuel filter change and measuring brake fluid) costing £550 gets me out there again (prefferably not march but thats when its due) No way would i be going back to work, enjoy your retirement. Your skills will occassionaly be needed like today, my 45 year old tap set was brought into action on a nice new computer chair that my son bought that had a burr on one mounting captive nut and couldnt screw into it. He complained they sent a new chair keep the old one, 30sec with a tap and i've a new chair. Took longer to find my magnifying glass.

Back