Technical Ducato Starter

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato Starter

mikevee

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I have a 1996 Ducato VIN number ZFA23000005230857

It's starter motor was missing and I'm having trouble finding the replacement starter in Malaysia.

Ordering it from AliExpress gave me the wrong size.

Does anyone have a replacement model I can order from anywhere?

Preferably with a part number?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG-20221107-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20221107-WA0003.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 69
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I have a 1996 Ducato VIN number ZFA23000005230857

It's starter motor was missing and I'm having trouble finding the replacement starter in Malaysia.

Ordering it from AliExpress gave me the wrong size.

Does anyone have a replacement model I can order from anywhere?

Preferably with a part number?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Mike
Don't have any parts but if you give me the engine code I may be able to give you more information.

Hi Mike,

Perhaps it is just your complementary close, but I much prefer a post giving the resulution of your problem, rather than "Thanks in advance", as it may help others.

From the VIN your vehicle is an x23o model, but may I suggest that engine size help in identityifying the correct oart.

I do not know whether it extends back to 1996 but it may. ePER available at the top of the page may help with part number. Then possibly a web search using the part may help.

Yes, as Communicator says if you can give as much information as possible, I am sure someone will be able to help you.
So along with it being a 1996 Ducato, do you have the engine size/capacity and the engine code, possibly on a Vin plate under the bonnet or on a bulkhead or door pillar etc.
It is even possible the same engine may have been used in a different make of vehicle, so all information helps.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Been offshore so internet has been hell.

My vin number is ZFA23000005230857 and it's a 2.5 TDI Turbo diesel.
Engine number: 212176664 (dunno if it helps)

I'm confused as there are so many part numbers from different manufacturers all claiming to fit.

I've ordered from AliExpress but the starter that came couldn't fit. (Front was too long and bumps against the transmission casing).

Is there any other means of identifying the engine?

Regards
Mike

Hi Mike,

Perhaps it is just your complementary close, but I much prefer a post giving the resulution of your problem, rather than "Thanks in advance", as it may help others.

From the VIN your vehicle is an x23o model, but may I suggest that engine size help in identityifying the correct oart.

I do not know whether it extends back to 1996 but it may. ePER available at the top of the page may help with part number. Then possibly a web search using the part may help.
Sorry it was just a complimentary close. The issue has not been resolved yet.

Cheers

If it is the earlier Sofim 8144. series engine I don't know much about them. If so it may look like this on ebay:- eBay item number:115611956605.

The ones I am more familiar with are the later ones the 8140. series 2.5 and 2.8 which are much more common as fitted in Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato , Citroen Relay all in front wheel drive format and similar but with some major differences in Iveco Daily's up to around 2004 as rear wheel drive.This one goes up to around 2006:-eBay item number:195399691913.
This earlier version of that from the pictures looks similar to your starter mounting area and the general layout of your engine block.
It's up to you to check if that looks correct and if so it would be the 8140. series which gives you much more chance of locating a starter.
I hope this helps a little. There are some starters listed on eBay for the 2.8 Sofim Ducato which is probably the same for the 2.5 as long as they are both of the 8140. series, they have some measurements so you may be able to check.

Last edited:
Yup based on the items you referred to on eBay, mine is the 8140. Though the fuel pump seems a little different.

Yup based on the items you referred to on eBay, mine is the 8140. Though the fuel pump seems a little different.
As long as yours is the 8140. series it gives you a lot more options.
The early 8140 . Series ranged from a 2.5 non turbo with all four injector pipes coming from the high pressure pump around 80 Hp, up to the 2.8 Common Rail ECU controlled turbo intercooled versions some in excess of 122Hp. All with basically the similar engine block (apart from as I mentioned earlier the RWD versions) So the pumps can vary quite a bit.
For me the best for power and ease of working on was one of the last around 1998 Fiat Ducato versions from the Maxi van, as non ecu and gave around 122Hp withe turbo and intercooler, which both could be adjusted easily for even more power, I put one in a boat replacing a 150Hp V6 petrol engine and was able to get almost the same speed but at under half the fuel consumption, with the adavntage for sea use of of no ECU so less to fail due to electronics.

Yup agreed. Mine is the non commonrail one too. Runs on a Bosch VE pump with all the pipes going to the injectors.

Got the engine almost in ruins, no fuel pump, no starter motor. Someone tried to fix it but gave up. Half the piston rings were gone, luckily the block wasn't too damaged. Busted a gasket, I think, water got into the oil and everything rusted.

Got a new pump, piston rings, etc .. hopefully can get a starter to get it running ..

As the Ducato does not exist in Malaysia, parts are harder to find than diamonds ...

Yup agreed. Mine is the non commonrail one too. Runs on a Bosch VE pump with all the pipes going to the injectors.

Got the engine almost in ruins, no fuel pump, no starter motor. Someone tried to fix it but gave up. Half the piston rings were gone, luckily the block wasn't too damaged. Busted a gasket, I think, water got into the oil and everything rusted.

Got a new pump, piston rings, etc .. hopefully can get a starter to get it running ..

As the Ducato does not exist in Malaysia, parts are harder to find than diamonds ...
Try including the 2.8 when searching, but remember not common rail.
I even fitted a 2.5 head on a 2.8 block with slight mods, it was an engine that the cambelt had broken and bent valves and damaged the head, also I had to fit a conrod as it had got "shortend";).
Always worth checking for piston heights matching on both pairs when head off, it might only be a couple of MM but it will never run sweet:)

Mine are also missing the passenger side front brake calipers as well. Might have been removed before I bought it.

Does anyone have a picture of the correct starter?

The hole for it on the transmission side seems oddly shallow.

Mine are also missing the passenger side front brake calipers as well. Might have been removed before I bought it.

Does anyone have a picture of the correct starter?

The hole for it on the transmission side seems oddly shallow.
On eBay some of the starters advertised give dimensions in the advert for you to compare.

Hi Mike,

Nobody seems to have mentioned this..

But the forum hss a link to the FIAT parts system

Should help identify the original builds part options

244 etc is related to body style
B. benzina
D . diesel

Charlie
I didn't know either, most of my Sofim engine knowledge is Iveco based as I have had a few.

Back