Technical Ducato Multijet 2.3 alternator replacement guide?

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato Multijet 2.3 alternator replacement guide?

Hi, been suggested I start a new thread for this, so:

Anyone know of a guide/ video about changing the alternator on a 2.3 Multijet? (2006-on)
Only vid I've found seems to be in Indonesian: enough to show it looks a pig of a job, but it's less than ideal! 😉

No luck finding a video/ or repair guide then: any mechanic out there had the misfortune to replace the alternator on a 2.3 Multijet Ducato? Do you remember if the exhaust has to be dismantled? 😕

No luck finding a video/ or repair guide then: any mechanic out there had the misfortune to replace the alternator on a 2.3 Multijet Ducato? Do you remember if the exhaust has to be dismantled? 😕
Just read a terrifying comment on a motorhome site that the (huge) subframe has to be dropped to change the alternator.
Can this be true? It would be a famous horror story if so, surely?

Found an easy download repair manual here:
It says that alternator is removable after detaching the exhaust section.
However - being a translation from Italian - it might not cover RHD, and there's a steering column in the thick of things on mine.
Could this be the reason for the 'subframe drop' story?
Going to look into cutting a 'hatch' through the bulkhead in the morning!

This is for LHD as well, but the detailed steps in the posts might help:

This is for LHD as well, but the detailed steps in the posts might help:

Hey, thankyou 'Hugh'! 😁

When they said you have to drop the subframe maybe they were talkng about the new Euro 6?
(To be fair to the designers they couldn't have known how much stuff would have to be added to the engine compartment which gets in the way)

When they said you have to drop the subframe maybe they were talkng about the new Euro 6?
(To be fair to the designers they couldn't have known how much stuff would have to be added to the engine compartment which gets in the way)
Yes, I'm hoping that is what they're referring to myself.
Still got my fingers crossed I hear from someone who's swapped one of these alternators on a BRITISH (RHD) van though - just so I don't spend hours freezing on the ground only to find I'm banging my head against the wall (metaphorically speaking) because of that steering column. 😖

Last edited:
Pleased (amazed!) to report that today I got that alternator OFF.

No need to disconnect the exhaust, just remove the tin heatshield that covers the power steering pipes and remove the power steering pump bolts to move it aside.

The DIY description above from Finland mentions going "over" the exhaust - but I did not take that route at all - just down, back a little and out.

The hidden 3rd alternator bolt is a swine - but if you remove the two belt idler pulleys a socket and wrench can be got through the gap to slacken it. (I used a 1/2" to 3/8 drive adapter to add length to the socket. A deep socket might work but might be too deep.)
Loosen the bolt - but don't undo it fully until the power steering pump is undone or your ratchet and socket will be trapped against the chassis rail.

The alternator then wriggles out down and backwards surprisingly easy - and suddenly the world is a brighter place and spring is in the (freezing) air! ❤🌼🌟

Last edited:
Back