Technical Ducato glow plug bolts rusted

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato glow plug bolts rusted

emmaguy

Just had my 2008 3L Ducato camper in the garage after it wasn't starting first time and the mechanic has said the bolt heads for the glow plugs were rusted so he didn't want to force them as they'd prob snap and a big job to get them out and replaced. Not a massive problem just now as the camper will start 2nd time but I use it a lot in the winter so its going to be a problem. Does anyone have experience of this? Also why have they rusted so bad? Cheers

After 8 years of water intrusion any unprotected steel part will be rusted. The plugs used by Fiat are slender and will probably snap.
You could try WD40 spray repeatedly and each day carefully try to unscrew them.

A proper release spray over a period of days, I find holts stuff is good, get the engine good and hot also, use a 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet so you have a better feel for the torque. A can freezer spray can help too to shock the rust too. They may still break with the best of efforts.

You should have any difficulty strarting in the UK without them though.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/pai...l-treatment/halfords-shock-unlock-spray-400ml

As said water ingress is common on these. I had 2 glow plugs snap on mine and had to get them drilled out. They are only rated at 20nm so very easy to snap also the glow plug cap does corrode and fail to make a connection with plug.

Mike

From the interweb an apparent excellent cocktail for a rust penetration is a 50/50 mixture of pure Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) in an old atomiser spray that will resist Acetone.
They wont mix so shake and spray and be careful.:eek:
BTW WD40 is now available in a penetrate spray as well as the original.(y)
:cool:

It's caused by a bad design of the windscreen scuttle panel, because it's a split designe when it rains the water seeps through the split in the panel, driping on to the engine cover and on to the glow plugs, fiat did bring out a re call to fix this issue but only for big companies with a large fleet, fiat have since re designed the scuttle panel on the new 2015 moddels

Back