Technical Ducato 2010 2.3MJ bad alternator?

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2010 2.3MJ bad alternator?

daweandersson

Hello.. from sweden :) My first post..

Our motorhome (ducato 2010 or 2011) atleast non DPF.. having strange / low charging voltage when driving? At first it can charge like 14.2 volts but after some minutes it can goes as low as 13.6 .. (monitoring voltage with my victron DCDC charger)

I guess alternator needs replacement? Or can it be the earth strap? So strange it charge OK some times for kinda long sessions and sometimes it goes down to 13,6 in some minutes...

Any toughts ? :)

Best regards
David

Is it a smart alternator?
They don't always provide potential difference that would be expected from a "normal" alternator.

Look online for videos how to tell if smart alternator

Is it a smart alternator?
They don't always provide potential difference that would be expected from a "normal" alternator.

Look online for videos how to tell if smart alternator
hmm can a 2010 really be a smart generator... isnt smart alternator a euro 6 thing.. or atleast late euro 5 ?

I have have naver seen so low voltage on a normal alternator.. my other cars is like stable 14,4 or 14,7

My problem is that it seems that the battery never gets fully charged when drive... I have tested the battery OK with real battery tester and its kinda new..

Battery testers are notoriously unreliable unless you spend much money on a top line yuasa tester- even then yuasa state does not give accurate results on new batteries.

13.6 volts is sufficient to fully charge the vehicle battery.

You can do a test by starting vehicle turning on high load electrical items , head lights , vent fan - read the battery voltage with the engine rpm around 2000rpm. Post results.

Which battery do you think is not fully charging? Vehicle or habitat?

Which model victron b2b do you have?
Did you install it?

Battery testers are notoriously unreliable unless you spend much money on a top line yuasa tester- even then yuasa state does not give accurate results on new batteries.

13.6 volts is sufficient to fully charge the vehicle battery.

You can do a test by starting vehicle turning on high load electrical items , head lights , vent fan - read the battery voltage with the engine rpm around 2000rpm. Post results.

Which battery do you think is not fully charging? Vehicle or habitat?
ok.. do u think voltage goes down cuz my battery is fully charged?

I have the victron orion TR smart 12/12-30A non insolated (same ground on starter and habitat battery) witch I have installed yes.

I will test that

ok.. do u think voltage goes down cuz my battery is fully charged?

I have the victron orion TR smart 12/12-30A non insolated (same ground on starter and habitat battery) witch I have installed yes.

I will test that

I've got a little lost are you referring to the voltage of the habitat battery or vehicle battery?

Victron b2b are very good. Great you installed because you will have all the instructions / manuals and will be fully informed.

I've got a little lost are you referring to the voltage of the habitat battery or vehicle battery?

Victron b2b are very good. Great you installed because you will have all the instructions / manuals and will be fully informed.
no its that I think the alternator behave very strange for being a "dumb" generator.. i have never seen so low charging voltage before (in other cars with normal/dumb generators)

The victron is working great :)

Which battery are you reading voltage from?
i reading "input" voltage to my DCDC charger in my victron app. Its a 16mm2 cable 2 meters long so it shouldnt be much voltage drop. I have also read voltage directly on starter battery with my fluke multimeter.
I still think 13,6 is to low for a normal alternator if this isnt a "fiat" thing, its my first fiat :)

13.6 volts is fine for 2010 alternator.

I have seen a lot lower "normal" voltages for alternators for older vehicles.

It is normal to see a slight voltage drop as the alternator gets hot

Back