500L Dualogic gearbox Fiat 500 lounge 2017

Currently reading:
500L Dualogic gearbox Fiat 500 lounge 2017

Kelsar

Hi there I’m based in Palmerston North, New Zealand but I brought my fiat in Auckland New Zealand.

When driving the vehicle home (6 hour trip) I noticed every time I was at a hill start and in automatic the traffic light would go green and the car was in the auto mode and I would take my foot off the brake to move to the accelerator and the vehicle would roll backwards down the hill and the gearbox goes into nuetral automatically and to stop the vehicle I have to pull the manual handbrake on. The vehicle is back in Auckland and the car dealer is trying to tell me this is normal for a dualogic gearbox.
This is incredibly dangerous and I could roll into a vehicle behind me when sitting at the top of a hill. Can someone please help me as I cannot believe this is normal.

Thank-you very much

Hi there I’m based in Palmerston North, New Zealand but I brought my fiat in Auckland New Zealand.

When driving the vehicle home (6 hour trip) I noticed every time I was at a hill start and in automatic the traffic light would go green and the car was in the auto mode and I would take my foot off the brake to move to the accelerator and the vehicle would roll backwards down the hill and the gearbox goes into nuetral automatically and to stop the vehicle I have to pull the manual handbrake on. The vehicle is back in Auckland and the car dealer is trying to tell me this is normal for a dualogic gearbox.
This is incredibly dangerous and I could roll into a vehicle behind me when sitting at the top of a hill. Can someone please help me as I cannot believe this is normal.

Thank-you very much

Hi 🙂
its NOT an automatic

It's a manual gearbox.. And a Robot works the clutch and gears

So.. Like any manual with the clutch pedal down it can roll

Was it advertised correctly as
"semi-auto"?

Or incorrectly as Automatic?

Hi 🙂
its NOT an automatic

"semi-auto"?

Hi 🙂
its NOT an automatic

"semi-auto"?

Hi there

The car has the option to drive it in manual or automatic, I always drove it in automatic mode I was advised it’s both and it’s my choice as to whether I drive it in manual or automatic. I know how to use it in manual but just prefer the automatic mode.

Can you please explain further what your trying to explain and I hope I’ve explained my end clearly.

Hi there

The car has the option to drive it in manual or automatic, I always drove it in automatic mode I was advised it’s both and it’s my choice as to whether I drive it in manual or automatic. I know how to use it in manual but just prefer the automatic mode.

Can you please explain further what your trying to explain and I hope I’ve explained my end clearly.

A conventional Automatic will creep forward.. As it is constantly connected

Modern semiauto systems do Not as the clutch has disconnected🙂
These systems were developed for better fuel economy.. It is a manual gearbox 😉

It's clutch is controlled mechanically.. As is the Gearchange

In Manual.. You have no clutch control.. It is completely controlled by the system of the car

And you are requesting THE Robot to change gear for you

I don’t understand a word your writing I drive it in auto mode only and it’s slipping on a hill stop when I move my foot from the brake to the accelerator the whole car rolls down hill and slips into neutral on the gearbox and if there’s a car behind me I’d hit them.

Pretty clear. The dualogic is not an automatic gearbox. IT A MANAUL GEABOX. It does not have a clutch pedal and looks like an auto BUT, the gearbox is actually being worked by a computerized robot which pushes and releases the clutch and moves the gears exactly as a normal manual gearbox but, unsen by you, by electro hydraulic systems. The effect is it does this automatically, bur hydraulic rams and motors under the bonnet are changing gears. This means when you stop IT pushes the clutch down and like a manual car and you need the brakes and the handbrake or, away you go backwards. You dont have the economy penalty of an auto box, but nor do you have the advantages ie always being in drive and not rolling back. You can automate ANY car in this way and after market firms certainly used to do so at a fair cost. This type of system is known correctly as Semi automatic. Its a very high tech system in Fiats and requires nurture to keep it working well. A Fiat dealer is the best place to have it serviced and they would Im sure explain how to use and get the best from it. Read the cars handbook carefully. With use you will soon understand its ways I am sure. Sont expect this car to behave as a conventional automatic and you are half way there. In reality its different andyou just need to understand when it is stationary it may select neutral or N in automatic gear box terms. It engages a gear and drives when you set off. You need to use brakes and handbrake similarly to driving a manual car.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the car has both the option of auto or manual. I understand there’s a hydraulic clutch. But I fail to understand why when at a standstill on a hill start in auto mode the foot brake isn’t sufficient enough alone? It’s only a second to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator why would you require the hand brake as well because you don’t need the handbrake in most circumstances on a hill start in a manual car? Rolling backwards simply can’t be normal it would surely not be road safe it’s like your telling me the clutch isn’t effective enough to stop it rolling back and yet you say it’s highly sophisticated? It’s just bloody dangerous to me.

Back