Technical Dual Mass Flywheel???

Currently reading:
Technical Dual Mass Flywheel???

Really interesting and glad I read this prior to taking my car in next week - I suspect I have the same problem - hopefully they'll replace at least the DMF (if that's what it is) under warranty which runs out in December.

It's a 2006 120bhp that's done only 14,900 miles and the clutch is terrible. Has gradually got worse - originaly just bad after long runs in traffic. Now very hit and miss whether the clutch will be very stiff and constant juddering on take off.

Was a bit worried the garage would just say "new clutch mate" but now I'm not so sure. We had a gearbox leak repaired under warranty but assume that was external not something that's contaminated the clutch plate. Can't see why that would make the pedal so stiff?

Taking it in next so will let you know how we get on.

Start/Stop shouldn't be confused with the 'start/stop' traffic

I'm not confusing it, the article states that the real problem area for the dual mass flywheel is 200 to 400 rpm, i.e. every time you start/stop the engine.

Maybe the problem is short runs rather than giving it some welly. Long motorway runs look good.

Mike

Hi all & happy ney year.
Can anyone help?I'm thinking of buying a 2000 multipla jtd,with suspect dual mass flywheel problem.I have been offered one from a 52 punto jtd,is this the same,or should I avoid at all costs?
any help will be much appreciated.Adee.

Hi again,just had another thought,is there any reason why the dual mass jobbie can't be junked,and a solid flywheel put in it's place?is there any reason why one can't be made to the same spec/weight etc?
I am a recently redundant precision engineer,with lathes,mills etc,so making one wouldn't be too much of a problem.would there be any demand for these????????
any feedback would be gratefully recieved.
Adee.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I haven't checked but Valeo are constantly extending their range of solid flywheel coversion kits. The kits contain matched components so that the 'give' in the dmf is replicated by extra give in the driven plate. I've recently fitted these kits to two friends cars, a Laguna 11 tdci and a BMW 320tdi and both are very happy with the results. (and the saving!)

Back