Technical Drop-links

Currently reading:
Technical Drop-links

d4zzl3r

Changed both drop-links because it was clonking and banging like Steptoes cart (clonking banging more than normal i should add). 10 minute job? In theory but it took me 2 hours due to rust and the allen bolts rounding off. In the end i had to cut them off. One virtually fell to pieces.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
  • l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
If I am replacing drop links and it doesn't matter damaging the old one, after wire brushing and oiling the threads I use an impact gun to wizz them off, a normal ratchet and socket should do, if the stud turns with the nut a pair of Molegrips where the dust cover sits usually does the job, if all else fails a 4 inch angle grinder with a thin cutting disc can carefully cut away one flat of the nut very close to the stud thread and it is possible if not changing the drop link to just replace a lock nut.
I have never had much success trying to undo a tight nut with a spanner and an Allen key on the little hole in the stud. Some drop links have a couple of flats on the dust cover side to hold with an open ended spanner when undoing the nut which to me was a better solution than the small Allen key job.:)

More often than not I find drop links need the angle grinder. I usually just cut into the ball section and then jam that while undoing it.

Back