General Driving off - What am I doing wrong?!

Currently reading:
General Driving off - What am I doing wrong?!

ap89

Hello everyone

So I passed my test a couple of months ago in a diesel car (1.3) which was a dream to drive! I even went out in third gear a couple of times by accident, and it didn't stall!

I also had a go at driving my mums car, which is also a diesel (2 litre) which was a nightmare, the way I had to handle the clutch and the accelerator was completely different, and I found myself constantly stalling

I had roughly 6 weeks off driving after I passed before finally getting my Fiat 500. I have only been out in it twice in the space of two weeks, as it completely terrifies me!

Now I don't know whether it's because it's a petrol or because it's a smaller engine, but I just feel like it won't do anything I want it to do!

I find myself revving it very very high, to the point where people look at me from the outside. I literally find it impossible to press on it lightly, my foot won't allow it?!

Since day one (in my instructors Corsa) I was taught to put my foot down on the clutch, select first gear, press the accelerator pedal, and THEN slowly lift my clutch to move. In my mums car however, I had to hold the clutch half way until after I started moving before I could release it completely, otherwise I would stall immediately

Now in the Fiat, I don't know what to do! I am obviously over revving it, and then when I lift the clutch it just feels like it takes forever to move off, then suddenly it's off, fast! Could I be holding the clutch for too long as I am terrified of stalling? Should I be holding it until it moves or should I be gradually lifting off? But then will it stall?

A few friends mentioned lifting the clutch half way and THEN pressing the accelerator, but that's not how I was taught?

Also, I tried to park the car twice on a driveway which is slightly up hill, and both times it stalled and started rolling back. Once again, I have always been told to use clutch control only, but I just can't do it in this car

I am trying to find somewhere to practise different techniques but I live in a busy city centre so it's hard!

I am absolutely terrified of stalling after a bad experience, so every time I see a red light I literally dread getting the car going again, so much so that I refuse to drive it!

Can somebody please advise me on how I can prevent the car from stalling, and how you personally drive off, use clutch control, and creep out or crawl in traffic? I feel like I'm going back to basics all over again, which I shouldn't be doing at all!

By the way it's a 1.2 litre petrol

Sorry for the essay guys, and thanks in advance for any suggestions

I think you'll find that this is just lack of practice. You need to develop 'feeling' the bite point of the clutch, and yes you are revving it too much. Apply a small amount of throttle and then raise the clutch to the bite point and then add throttle as you raise the clutch.

First things first, relax!

My 1st driving instructor had a real bee in his bonnet about the position of the clutch pedal, always telling me where it should be. I struggled a lot.

The 2nd taught me to feel where the clutch starts engaging and to apply the throttle gently, almost in a sweeping motion the left foot comes up, the right goes down.

He also described my foot work (for want of a better phrase) as very digital - all or nothing - and was curious as to why I kept asking how many revs I needed for a particular scenario.

Sounds like you had an instructor like my first.

When you go to pull off, don't apply the gas straight away - gently lift the clutch and the car will start moving - just like starting your manoeuvres.

As you get more and more used to it, you'll soon be pulling away like an F1 driver

Don't be frightened of driving - the 1.2 engines are nice little motors (had one in my Punto). Practice really is the key.

Every car is different - even cars of the same make/model/age.

Enjoy driving your little Italian Stallion (well...more a pony :p)

Yep - as above. All I can add is to stay calm and not to panic. Don't worry about stalling, we were all learners once. It would probably be best though to find somewhere nice and quiet and to practice feeling the bite point of the clutch. Sundays on any nearby trading estate are good as there are proper road layouts but with very little traffic. Good luck with the new car.

If you got on well with your instructor, call him/her and get them to help you in your own car. If they are good enough, they'll have one go themselves, then understand how to help you.
Alternatively, if you are somewhere in the region of Swindon, Oxford, Witney, Newbury, Fairford, PM me and we'll sort something.

Excellent piece of advice. Just what I also thought. Either that, or get a trusted friend who is an experienced driver to give you some advice in your car. Don't worry as you will soon get the hang of it. My wife has been driving for over 30 years and taught me to drive. She absolutely hates getting a new car as she feels she has to learn all over again how to drive the new car. We had the 500 for over a year before she started to use it. She did have a serious arm injury during this period and preferred to drive our old banger. She is actually a very careful and considerate driver. She absolutely loves her 500 and cannot believe how apprehensive she was.

Lots of excellent advice here already. Good clutch control is the key and that will come with practice. If you feel the car starting to stall, you need to press down on the clutch, not the accelerator.

On level ground you can drive the car at least as far as third gear without using the accelerator at all.

Lots of excellent advice here already. Good clutch control is the key and that will come with practice. If you feel the car starting to stall, you need to press down on the clutch, not the accelerator.

On level ground you can drive the car at least as far as third gear without using the accelerator at all.

Letting the vehicle roll without accelerator can be a useful tool, especially in queues. Must use some accelerator for initial move away though. (Don't be tempted to hop out and run alongside though! - Yes, seen it done, didn't end well.)

If you got on well with your instructor, call him/her and get them to help you in your own car. If they are good enough, they'll have one go themselves, then understand how to help you.
Alternatively, if you are somewhere in the region of Swindon, Oxford, Witney, Newbury, Fairford, PM me and we'll sort something.

This is not an attempt to get more business, it is a genuine free offer, as long as we can find a mutually acceptable time and place.

Thank you for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it

I will be going out in it this evening so hopefully it will go much smoother

Portland Bill, thank you for the offer but unfortunately I live in Cheshire. My friend did say she will come out with me tomorrow night (when it's quiet) so hopefully that will help

And now you mention it, my instructor did ask me to call him if I need more lessons in the future. I think I will definitely consider this if I'm still struggling by next week

It's good to know about being able to roll using the clutch only, as I genuinely thought this car cuts out when using just the clutch. But maybe I stalled because I was trying to park slightly up hill? I think that has been my main worry, rolling in traffic and creeping out

It's good to know about being able to roll using the clutch only, as I genuinely thought this car cuts out when using just the clutch.
I think you would be hard pushed to find 'any' car that stalls if just using the clutch, as long as you are gentle enough.

Good luck with the extra tuition :)

Glad you are persevering with it, it will all slot into place eventually and you won't even think about what you are doing.
In a previous job I swapped from a diesel 206 to a petrol corsa and stalled it loads of times as I had to re-learn the technique. The gearing and engine revs will all be different too, as has been said before every car is different. On test drives I've stalled, crashed gears and generally made a hash of it and that's with 20years behind various wheels. Keep calm, take a breath and it will come together eventually :)

And now you mention it, my instructor did ask me to call him if I need more lessons in the future. I think I will definitely consider this if I'm still struggling by next week

Sadly Cheshire is a little outside my area.

Consider talking to your instructor. Maybe combine this help with Pass Plus, so once more comfortable with the car he can get you out on the motorway too.

My wife and I have both been driving for the best part of 50 years (!). She has a Panda 1.2 and I have a 100HP. The clutch/accelerator synchronisation is very different - 100HP needs a few more revs and the clutch on the 1.2 engages a long way up the pedal travel. Mrs b_u still finds moving from her car to mine takes some getting used to, so stick with the right practice - not too many revs and feel when the clutch is beginning to bite - and you'll be fine.

The first car Mrs b_u owned was a rear-engined Fiat 500 - very little power, four speeds and you have to double-declutch to change down - she took a few weeks to get used to it and was very close to getting rid of the car - which became a firm favourite that is still remembered affectionately.

Take your car to a quiet flat road, industry estate on a weekend is ideal.
start engine, turn off radio and lower drivers window so you can hear engine note better.
Put car into first gear and without touching throttle pedal, very slowly start to release clutch pedal until you notice a slight change in the engine note. the rev counter will reduce slightly as well.
this is the biting point, so repeat this exercise a couple of times to remember where the biting point is.
When you are happy with this, bring the clutch pedal to the biting point hold it for a second then, apply the throttle pedal as you release the clutch pedal. this needs to be done as a gentle fluid movement between the two feet.
if the engine races away you are using too much throttle back off and try again.
If you stall you are using too little throttle.
Practice makes perfect and you will soon master your car.

Most of what Arthur Daley says is good, but this practice should only be used to find the biting point. Finding biting point first, then adding throttle is bad practice and a lot of cars will object by starting to move, then dipping a little, trying to stall. It is confusing the ECU. As the revs drop, the ECU adds fuel, above its base level. As you press the throttle, you initially demand less fuel than already being supplied, hence the stall.

Once you've practised, getting a feel for the noise and how the car reacts, then do as you were taught. First, raise the engine revs a little, then find the biting point. Then to move away, increase the throttle as the clutch is raised, both feet moving in opposite directions together.

The bit you seem to be having difficulty with is the initial setting of the throttle. This is sensitive and will require practice. Currently you are pressing too hard/too far and making too much noise. Keep practising, it will come.

Back