Technical Driveshaft or transmission.

Currently reading:
Technical Driveshaft or transmission.

FiatNorway

Hi,
Ive got a 2011 Scudo 120 multijet fwd with 116k km on it. Something are making a knocking sound and vibration. It only appears when i accelerate, even soft acceleration makes the sound and steeringwheel vibration. Dead quiet when enginebraking. Smooth shifting also. Does this sound like a transmission or driveshaft problem? rekorded a video today, please see attached file.
Apologize for my bad english.

Attachments

• 20221111_193216.mp4
    13.8 MB
  • 20221111_192748.mp4
    73.2 MB
Hi,
Ive got a 2011 Scudo 120 multijet fwd with 116k km on it. Something are making a knocking sound and vibration. It only appears when i accelerate, even soft acceleration makes the sound and steeringwheel vibration. Dead quiet when enginebraking. Smooth shifting also. Does this sound like a transmission or driveshaft problem? rekorded a video today, please see attached file.
Apologize for my bad english.
Difficult not being there, but to me it sounds like a drive shaft issue.
When you are driving on the road is it worse at a certain speed?
If you have both wheels safely supported off the ground, then stop one wheel from turning and carefully lift the clutch and bring the car up to half the speed that the car makes the bad noise and see if it stops with that side of the car , then repeat with the other side.
Note HALF the the speed as with a wheel stopped the transmission will be going twice as fast due to the action of the differential in the gearbox..
Looking at the state of the drive shaft boots my guess would be a drive shaft issue.
It can be inner or outer CV joint, but inner usually fails if it has been refitted badly in the past and become disassembled partially inside the boot.
The outer CV joint usually is worse on a full lock of steering and going around in a tight circle in a car park can show it, first clockwise than anticlockwise to test.
Because it is trying to jam or lock up it it can affect the steering which you feel through the wheel.
Also although picture not totally clear it seemed as though when drive shaft was turning the gearbox appeared to be trying to kick/move which points towards this.
I have used this test many times in a garage/workshop, it is best with both side of suspension safely supported at the same height, as if the car was on the road i.e. Not with the wheels hanging down, so supports towards the outer end of the suspension but safely clear of the moving wheels.
One mechanic hold the wheel to stop it turning whilst the other carefully raises the clutch to check the drive shaft. Do not move the steering from the straight ahead position!
IT MUST BE DONE SAFELY!!!

Back