Technical Drivers side door dented and buckled

Currently reading:
Technical Drivers side door dented and buckled

laurenlee059

I have recently purchased my car through Trade Centre Wales 2 weeks ago. I purchased a Fiat 500, 16 plate. I had only had the car 4 days on the fourth day I had been out in my car in the morning and I opened the door of my car as normal, I didn’t leave my car at all during this time, when i returned home I parked my car on my drive where I always park it and it was fine. it was parked there for around 2 hours before i went to go back in the car, as I opened my drivers side door I heard a very loud noise and I could not open the door no more than 3-4 inches, it felt like the door and hinges were buckled and where the door had dropped it had dented the door panel. I am 100% sure that when I went to get in the car that the dent was not there. Trade Centre Wales are saying that i am liable for the damage to the car and they are saying that it has been kicked or leaned on. So i am just looking for a some advice from this forum, if you have ever heard of anything similar happening to a fiat 500 door? As i have read elsewhere that it is a common fault and its the front door check strap that has failed on my car, which causes the door to catch the edge of the wing and causes the damage to the car. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of this before? i will be grateful for all the advice i can get thank you:confused:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear it's in such sad circumstances.

I've not heard of any cases of doorstrap/door hinge failure on a 500 of this age. Door handle failure is common, and it may be this that you have read about. Door handle failure does not normally cause any additional damage and is easily rectified.

My suggestion is that you get an independent engineer's assessment of what has actually happened. If the independent engineer believes the failure was down to a pre-existing defect with the car, get this in writing. You will then be in a position to approach the selling dealer from a position of strength.

Without a written independent expert's report saying the failure was, on balance of probability, caused by a fault with the car that was present at the time you bought it, I think you'd be wasting your time trying to get any restitution from Trade Centre Wales.

Last edited:
I have replaced several doors. The check strap does not hold the door in place vertically or horizontally it is just for the opening of the door. When you open it wide, the check strap stops the door coming back and hitting you in the face.

What are the gaps like around the door? Can you post some pics?

Did you check if the car has been written off before? Possible that somebody has done a poor repair. If this is the case and trade seller has not informed you they’re in the wrong as it’s a legal obligation for a trade seller to tell you.

Not suggesting all salvage cars are repaired badly as we know typecastboy does a good job!

Did you check if the car has been written off before? Possible that somebody has done a poor repair. If this is the case and trade seller has not informed you they’re in the wrong as it’s a legal obligation for a trade seller to tell you.

Not suggesting all salvage cars are repaired badly as we know typecastboy does a good job!

The real problem comes with cars that have been repaired after sustaining significant damage but not written off. In those cases, there is no requirement for the trader to disclose this.

An instructive example of what can go wrong when this happens can be found in this thread. For those who didn't follow the story at the time, it's an interesting read.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help! I am getting an independent inspection done. No I don’t think the car has been written off before, but it’s possible it could have been in a crash before I purchased the car as it has really bad filler on the back bumper which is uneven and a different colour to my car! I will attach photos now.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back