Technical Drive Shaft Replacement .. Advice

Currently reading:
Technical Drive Shaft Replacement .. Advice

XB23

Hi Everyone,

So the weekend I had a split gaitor, I know I could have just changed the boot, but I had the bright idea of changing the entire CV.

So my problem started here, to cut a long story short the drive shaft splines become pretty badly nackered so now I have to replace the entire drive shaft, I have the part.

Its the driver side drive shaft, so its the longer one..

Now looking at the new shaft it looks like the old one literally just pulls out the gear box and new one slides in, but surely it cannot be that simple?

How do I remove the drive shaft so I can get it out and how do I put the new one in, is it straight forward to do?

Cheers.

James

I haven't actually replaced one, but the Peter Russek manual says that yes it will just pull out (and drop 2 litres of gearbox oil if you haven't drained it), but that you should replace the driveshaft/gearbox seals if you do this. Whilst that's a straightforward job, it's not as easy as it could be as you will need some kind of mandrel to gently drift it in.

But yes, it does just pull out and slide in as long as you have removed the supporting bracket half way along.

I haven't actually replaced one, but the Peter Russek manual says that yes it will just pull out (and drop 2 litres of gearbox oil if you haven't drained it), but that you should replace the driveshaft/gearbox seals if you do this. Whilst that's a straightforward job, it's not as easy as it could be as you will need some kind of mandrel to gently drift it in.

But yes, it does just pull out and slide in as long as you have removed the supporting bracket half way along.
yeahthat.gif

Most people don't replace the gearbox output seals unless they are leaking or damaged.

Robert G8RPI.

Back