General draining battary

Currently reading:
General draining battary

p3rk87

Can some 1 help me plez changed a clutch in my fiat doblo 1.9 jtd 2004 when battary is charged it starts fine butt its not holding charge and its left me with a engine managment light,battary light and now air bag, some one said try cleaning the live cables running to the starter motor , the van drives fine other wise can any one help plez

Check the chassis earth cable. Several folks here have discovered that it corrodes internally and eventually breaks. When you changed the clutch you may have disturbed it leading it to not working properly. All sorts of electrical gremlins can appear if this simple bit of kit fails. Several threads on this forum where its been discussed as the Doblo seems to suffer from this.

Secondly with the battery fully charged and the engine running above idle speed measure the voltage across the battery terminals. If its under 13 to 13.2 volts the alternator may not be charging. Airbag sensors are highly voltage sensitive so they shut down as soon as there is any small variation in feed voltage, hence the warning lights.

Last edited:
Hi mate,as Yobbo said probably earth fault,the earth lead where it bolts to front of gearbox is prone to failure,it may look ok but pull hard on the wire where it's fitted into terminal on box.If any doubt I always fit an extra lead direct from battery earth to engine bolt. Has the fault only happened since clutch change?Hope this helps,John.

cheers buddy but just changed earth cable put it from gear box to engine mount ive got rid of the engine managment light that was a plug but still aint charging, on the starter motor ive got the positive from the battary and the positive from the alternator together and the little earth cable seperate it was all working fine before i changed the clutch,still got the battary light on:mad:

changed the earth still not chargeing ive got a chance of a 52 plate 1.9 jtd alternator would this fit and ill try that

I would imagine that it would fit. Can you check the part number on the fitted part and the possible replacement?

The van was stood for 2 weeks could this kill the battary and could this of caused the problem thanks

My father in law's doblo sometimes does that after a few weeks without use. I would suggest that some kind of drain on the electrical system is going on though. When his does it the battery light does not come on though, it's just dead and needs a jump start or recharging.

removing alternator

How do u remove the top bolt to remove the alternator struggling big time thanks

Back