General done my rear shocks today

Currently reading:
General done my rear shocks today

with help from the guide on this forum I have replaced my rear shocks today

they were both rotten, and misted with oil [right side worse]

passed MOT last year but with an advisory

so bought some last week and got them on today

by christ, the bolts were tight! my impact gun made good work on undoing them once cracked but they put up a fight all the way!!

some pics:

2020-07-06 12.12.03.jpg

2020-07-06 12.22.47.jpg

2020-07-06 12.40.07.jpg

2020-07-06 12.40.11.jpg

2020-07-06 12.54.12.jpg

2020-07-06 13.37.32.jpg

I don't see an axle stand just the jack under your car, hope I'm just missing seeing that in your photos. Please, please don't take a chance when you're working under a car - from someone who's helped pull a car off a person working under it

I did take care on what I was doing, there were two jacks, a smaller one under the suspension arm. I trust my main jack very well and I wasnt really under the car in such a way that it would trap me.

No idea on the breaker bar make, I think its a Draper Expert? I had to borrow it from my step-son as my own broke a few weeks ago.

Good job getting it done.

I need to look at my evo shocks and springs at some point in the not too distant future.

I would strongly recommend you get some axle stands. Speaking from a medical perspective you don't want to know the mess it can make of the human body if a car falls off a jacks.

My father inlaw broke his arm in the 80's when a mini fell off its jacks and his arm was under it at the time.

Arms and legs do tend to get in the way even if you're not under the car.

Thanks for posting.. :)

I now know what the 'spider mount' does ;)

Ive got the front parts to swap on my 58 plate mj...
Saw the spider on the Shop4parts site.. and couldnd figure out its purpose :eek:

Mystery solved ;)

When you say you 'broke' your breaker bar.. what happened?

Sheaperd the pivot pin?

Mine was a bolt.. I say WAS.. grabbed the bar out of the box one day.. it was in 'kit form' :eek:

Found a replacement HT bolt.. but how on earth did it fall apart ??

I don't see an axle stand just the jack under your car, hope I'm just missing seeing that in your photos. Please, please don't take a chance when you're working under a car - from someone who's helped pull a car off a person working under it

Before I owned axle stands I put the removed roadwheel under the sill where you were working

If you tugged the car off the supports the wheel would keep it off the ground.. youve then got a chance of getting a jack back under it ;)

Nowadays.. the wheel still goes under there ..
Belt and braces.. :)

Before I owned axle stands I put the removed roadwheel under the sill where you were working

If you tugged the car off the supports the wheel would keep it off the ground.. youve then got a chance of getting a jack back under it ;)

Nowadays.. the wheel still goes under there ..
Belt and braces.. :)
Except now a days the wheel's probably going to be an alloy and if you drop the car on it you'll wish you hadn't?

I am alive, there were no nuns, kittens around or under the car when I did the job, I took care and worked mostly within the arch, the secondary jack was a mechanical one and not hydraulic.

the job is done, it is what it is, I dont recommend anyone NOT using axle stands either, I didnt, I wont be the first to take that chance.

nearly had this car a year, a full report coming soon!

Id rather mangle an alloy than me.. so yes.. my £550 a go alloys do get used
;)
Point absolutely taken Charlie. I would too if at the side of a road with none or the facilities of my garage to hand.

Also Levemircento, I hope you don't take offence, I was only commenting from a "best practice" point of view and would be the first to admit that I've taken worse risks than this myself.

I am alive, there were no nuns, kittens around or under the car when I did the job, I took care and worked mostly within the arch, the secondary jack was a mechanical one and not hydraulic.

the job is done, it is what it is, I dont recommend anyone NOT using axle stands either, I didnt, I wont be the first to take that chance.

Understood and appreciate we are not getting at you, just don't want to see you squashed. (y)

Back