does this look right ..? drivers sill and passenger weld

Currently reading:
does this look right ..? drivers sill and passenger weld

johnmac04

Had mot and failed they said needed new driver sill and floor weld passenger side they had my car 4 days .I got it back and they have painted along the bottom of the sill but looks very poor I don't know nothing about welding and what they have to do so I've posted pics for you to look at .can someone tell me if this looks right it just looks so bumpy . A new sill I thought it would look straight it looks bent I'm just not happy after paying £250 for it

mjsv10.jpg

2nj9i85.jpg

o6cg1j.jpg

Last edited:
Very very poor repair. They've not ground it flush. No attempt to blend it in. I'd ask them to sort it out if not trading standards. Worst repair I've seen in a long while. God knows what the floor looks like!

Ideally they should have cut out the rusty area and inserted new metal, then ground the welds flush. This however would cost more.

It looks like they've just plated over the top, leaving some or all of the rusty metal underneath. Whilst this will be strong and good enough for the MOT, if the rust underneath has not been treated completely, it will continue to rust, unseen. More repairs would be needed next year, or the year after.

Whilst this is not cosmetically good, it is adequate. Whether you have a right to complain and ask for a better repair will depend on the terms of the repair. If they offered to "make it ok" for the MOT, that is what they've done. Price will be important. Only you can answer that question, so don't go rushing in complaining.

They should hopefully have given you options for the repair.
1. Adequate for MOT, cheapest price. This is what we see here.
2. Cut out rusty bits and insert repair pieces, grind flush and paint. Cavity wax added after repair. More money and time.
3. Complete new sill. Lots of time and money.

If no options were given, they have done the minimum, probably at the best price. If you want it better, you'll have to visit several potential repairers for quotes.

I think if I went in to a garage for that sort of repair and it came out like that, regardless of whether i said make it look "perfect" or "decent" I'd still be pretty peeved if that's how it came out looking. Looks like a tin of hammerite has been splashed at it.

here is the receipt that I had done as I said im clueless when it comes to cars but im not happy with the work .so for what I have had done on the receipt is it not right

1h46xv.jpg

here is the receipt that I had done as I said im clueless when it comes to cars but im not happy with the work .so for what I have had done on the receipt is it not right

1h46xv.jpg

Quote says : "full off-side outer sill"

it's a patch to a sill.. NOT a replacement outer sill, :rolleyes:

TBH - £250 is an o.k. price,

depends most on where / what type of place did the work,
a high street garage with labour rates of £80 per hour..,
totally different to a guy in a shed / lock-up on £20 per hour CASH;)

from my experience;
If a 13 year old punto has needed welding to sills and floor,
then it'll not be MOT worthy for many more years..,
probably not worth too much argument.. take your 12 months ticket and enjoy the car while it lasts.., :)

Charlie

1h46xv.jpg

Mhmm, says "welding" suggesting that's all they've done - and arguably they've done that.

It does depend on labour/where you are. Garages in London can be considerably more expensive simply because it's in London.

It's far from a good job, and maybe if it does bother you, you could ask if they'd consider smoothing it down or something just to neaten things up a bit. Or you could do it it yourself if you're feeling brave. I should add, I'm incredibly fussy about this sort of thing, so even if the colour wasn't 100% I wouldn't be happy! Dread the day I have to make any cosmetic repairs!

It says "full offside outer sill", presumably that's the pic that is all black. Looking closely, it does not appear to be the full sill, only about three quarters or less. Normally to do a full sill properly, the original would be removed at its original join in the door apertures. They seem to have cut the original and welded the new to it, poorly. To do a full sill properly would cost a lot more than you've paid in total.

I thought for an MOT any welding had to be continuous, but this appears to be welded in blobs a few inches apart. Unless that is where they tacked it first, then have welded it all the way. Only a close look would show.

As Charlie says, with that amount of welding needed, it is not going to last much longer. This repair will keep it going for another year. If you want a better job, you'll be into a proper restoration, costing thousands.

Sadly, I think this is all you can expect for the money. You could mask it by covering the whole sill, both sides with stonechip.

Thanks all for replying I live in hull and labour around 25_30 per hour I will ask to smooth it out but I think it's time to get rid I will sell it off cheap I think .if like you say it will be needing more work in the future mot's then I will consider another car .again thanks for the help I might even try and smooth it out and spray the bottom just to look neat

Back