Technical Does This Fit

Currently reading:
Technical Does This Fit

tambo

FannyBawz
just making sure before i commit myself

gearbox from a 1.1 (1996) fit in my mk 2 1.2 w plate punto?

cheers (y)

box is still attached to engine,anything i need to look for when i split them ?

another query

i have already bought input shaft bearing/oil seals for my mk 2 but if i go ahead with the mk 1 box,would bearing/oil seals still fit or would i need to get mk 1 bearing/oil seals ?

cheers again guys (y)

and when i am putting a clutch kit in it,mk 1 or mk 2 clutch ?

or both the same ?

No def not from a mk 1 to a mk2. If i remember rightly, the 1.1 gearbox has no couplings for the driveshaft but the 1.2 does (8v and 16v) so i dont think it will interchange even if it fitted....

I have a 01 punto sporting. I used to have a 99 mk1 sporting. I went to go put the 99 5 speed box in and realised there was no holes in the box for the gearbox mounting to bolt into. So I got an old bravo box that was lying around and the mounting fitted perfectly on it... Try to source out a bravo/a gearbox or from another punto

just told the guy i was taking the mk 1 box off him :bang:

back to the drawing board then

Was Only Going For A Mk1 Box As Someone Mentioned They Were Hardier

Last edited:
Can Someone Please Give Me A List Of What Gearboxes That They Know For Certain Will Fit My W Plate 1.2 8v Mk 2 Punto,So I Can Place An Ad On My Locals (y)

Cheers Peeps

The 1.1 box probably has a lower final drive ratio so see less torque from a less powerful engine so it would appear to be stronger than a 1.2 box.

There are lots of 1.2s about visit a few breakers.

Could Do That But Got Told MK 1 Box Is Hardier

??

That box uses the same internals as the 1.2 16v (some different chassis numbers have a different ratio 3rd gear) and the final drive is very slightly lower. Because the 55 has only 53 bhp, thats 33 less than a sporting of the same era. The final drive has been known to fail on the 1.2 16v as the final drive experiences extra stress from the extra power. I should know, we've broke 2 of those boxes here, the epicyplic gears in mine broke away, working inside the box and made bits of the gears as well as the bell housing and clutch. What a mess that was to clean up :mad: however that was an extreme case scenario, most wont drive atall if failed... So the lesson here is don't be fooled by that advice yer man told you!!

Can Someone Please Give Me A List Of What Gearboxes That They Know For Certain Will Fit My W Plate 1.2 8v Mk 2 Punto,So I Can Place An Ad On My Locals (y)

Cheers Peeps

Bravo/a 1.2 16v
Any 1.2 mk 2 Punto
I think the stilo 1.2/1.4 will also fit

Try to source a 6 speed Punto sporting box, low range and a high top gear for economy (y)

Last edited:
Back