General Doblo van reliability

Currently reading:
General Doblo van reliability

Longshanks 1968

Hi, I recently joined the forum and wondered if you guys could share your experience of owning a doblo van with me. I have owned a Ducato for almost 5 years . Its been fine with just a few issues along the way. I now have the need to downsize my vehicle and have seen a Doblo with the 1.3 multijet engine.
The van is in very good condition and has covered around 88, 000 miles. Its not been used as a trade vehicle and obviously has only done light work judging from the condition.
It doesn't appear to have much in the way of service history and the current owner has never had the timing chain done. Not sure on the service intervals for the chain, I have read conflicting remarks about how good and bad they are. It's underpriced slightly and not having any history to speak of I could Use this as a bargaining chop.
Are these vehicles reliable or should I walk away.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks
Neil

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. It's a 2012 model.
Thanks again
I've had 3 of these over the years, a 2007, a 2012 and then a 2019. I didn't need a chain on any of them but, I changed the oil and filter regularly. I had to change a front wishbone and spring on the 2012, but I think this was pothole damage. The only engine issues were on the 2019, which was a euro 6. The eml came on quite regularly for sensor fails, and then finally for glow plugs. The oldest one needed a starter motor, but at 179000 miles that was fair enough.

l had a 2004 doblo 1.9 jtd from new and was a fantastic van , good motor in that one quite quick and returned good mpg , sold it to my brother and is still going strong, i now have a 2015 1.3 multi crew van that I find a bit under powered but is ok , only issues I’ve had are top suspension mounts seizing and cracked intercooler pipe. 👍🏻

A friend has had every mark doblo, company vans, although he’s not had to repair them he’s obviously been driving them long enough to know them…
Mk1, reliable plodder but you won’t find many as succumbed to rust
Mk2, he didn’t like, generally silly electrical faults and egr issues
Mk3 is just a facelifted Mk2 but he prefers it to Mk2 and they haven’t replaced them yet
Real Mk3 is a rebadged Citroen Berlingo

Hi, I have spoken to the seller again and he tells me he has had a engine management light come on, and its says stop start unavailable. he has taken it to a garage but they say they can't find a fault. It still drives ok . Any one got any ideas please. Or should I leave it alone and look for another one .
Thanks Neil

Hi, I have spoken to the seller again and he tells me he has had a engine management light come on, and its says stop start unavailable. he has taken it to a garage but they say they can't find a fault. It still drives ok . Any one got any ideas please. Or should I leave it alone and look for another one .
Thanks Neil

Could be as simple as a low battery.. or brake switch

Price is going to reflect the risk :)

Back