Technical Doblo Speeding Warning - IMPORTANT

Currently reading:
Technical Doblo Speeding Warning - IMPORTANT

Just read all this and it would appear to me, being a serving Traffic Police Officer, that there are some very confused people out there.

This is the law, regardless of what your 'mate' at the garage says, or any other codswallop that socalled advanced drivers say.

This is the definition of a car

A motorcar is an MPV, (mechanically Propelled Vehicle) other than a motorcycle or invalid carriage, which is constructed to carry a load or passengers and which is below a certain unladen weight. These weights are
¨ if the vehicle is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects, is adapted to carry not more than seven passengers exclusive of the driver and is fitted with inflatable tyres, the maximum weight is 3050 kg
¨ if the vehicle is constructed or adapted for use for the conveyance of goods or burden of any description, the maximum weight is 3050 kg (increased to 3500 kg for gas propelled vehicles)
in any other case the maximum weight is 2540 kg

‘Unladen weight’ refers to the weight of a vehicle without load of any kind, and does not include the weight of water or fuel, and any other equipment used for the purpose of propulsion (eg batteries).
Maximum gross weight’ is the maximum total weight which a vehicle may lawfully impose on a road. It is the sum of the vehicle’s unladen weight and the maximum weight of the load which the vehicle may lawfully carry or pull.

Hope this helps, oh and i dont like bloody dognuts. Greasy awful sh*t

David

:confused: Thread was started in Feb 2007 and the last Post is from Sept 2008 David, but your input is interesting.

Not very nice to wade in like this on here though is it...
" regardless of what your 'mate' at the garage says, or any other codswallop that socalled advanced drivers say " Suggests your Roadside manner might be interesting in a traffic stop, which area do you patrol and whats your PC number ;) :devil:

Some laws may be an ass, as might some law enforcers and members of the Public. But they are the Law. There is no room for Opinion and / or Common sense these days but thats what we have to work with.

What would your views be on "stretch" tyre fitting in terms of suitability for the highway and safety? How do they fit with Construction and Use policy?

I may have some humble pie waiting for me... :eek:

Be nice.... We are! (y)

Last edited:
Certainly wasnt meant to offend. However the amount of times i hear, "ive just had it tested, and they say its legal" . if i only had a quid for evertime.

Im not familiar with the term Stretch. if you explain ill cetainly explain con and use with regard to safety.

With regard to the law is an ass, that maybe so, however Traffic law is very black and white, right and wrong, and some being what`s called Absolute offence, where by there are no defenses provided in law.

Certainly wasnt meant to offend. However the amount of times i hear, "ive just had it tested, and they say its legal" . if i only had a quid for evertime.

Im not familiar with the term Stretch. if you explain ill cetainly explain con and use with regard to safety.

With regard to the law is an ass, that maybe so, however Traffic law is very black and white, right and wrong, and some being what`s called Absolute offence, where by there are no defenses provided in law.

All cool by me TBH. No ambiguity FTW!

Anyhow... Stretch.

Is when an individual decides he wants to adopt the "Euro look" on his wheels.

Amounts to fitting a tyre on to a wheel that does not have the correct tyre width for the rim.

For example, a 17" tyre on a 17" rim, but with say 65 - 75% of the required tread width, so that the rims of the tyres are set wider the the tread pattern contacting the road.

Lots of modders do this, I have argued that it is both dangerous and illegal from conversations with people in the force.

What are the official views? If a car is MoT'd with normal standard proper rims and tyres, then after the MoT these "stretched" things are fitted, does the MoT still stand? If not, does the Insurance become invalidated?

Sorry for all the questions but its good to get the view of someone who should know.

Thanks HellCat

ok, with regards to Con and Use act 1986 namely use of tyres fitted to a mechanically propelled vehicle; sec41A RTA1988 states,
Under Section 41A (breach of requirement as to tyres), any person who:
¨ fails to comply with, or
¨ contravenes construction and use requirements tyres, or who
¨ uses, or causes or permits to be used on a road,
a motor vehicle or trailer which does not comply with the requirements, commits an offence.
All tyres fitted to vehicles used on a road must be so maintained that they are free from defect and fit for the use to which they are being put.
The offence is to use, cause or permit to be used, a motor vehicle (or trailer) on a road fitted with a pneumatic tyre which:
¨ was unsuitable regarding the use of vehicle/trailer, or the types of tyres on the other wheels, or was not so inflated as to make it fit for use, or
¨ had a cut in excess of 25 mm (or 10% of the section width of the tyre, whichever is the greater) and deep enough to reach the ply or cord, or
¨ had a lump/bulge/tear caused by the separation or partial structural failure, or
¨ had a portion of the ply or the cord exposed, or
¨ had the base groove (which showed the original tread pattern) no longer clearly visible, or
¨ had a tread pattern which did not have a depth of at least 1 mm through the continuous band measuring at least three-quarters of the breadth of the tread round the entire outer circumference. This will mainly apply to vehicles other than the more ‘common’ vehicles you are likely to deal with (see note below).
The offence is using (causing or permitting use of) a vehicle fitted with a tyre not maintained in the condition as to be fit for use or free from defect which might in any way cause damage to the surface of the road or danger to persons on or in the vehicle or to other persons using the road.

Any issues with understaning please feel free to ask

David

So with regards to the question, and having seen the link from Hellcat, with that vehicle, i would seize. Technically the driver could be arrested for Dangerous Driving :)

So with regards to the question, and having seen the link from Hellcat, with that vehicle, i would seize. Technically the driver could be arrested for Dangerous Driving :)

Thanks. And thanks to Hellcat too!

Thing is, are Traffic Officers aware to look for this? Would they all know what to look for and what to do? This law is being flagrantly disregarded, mainly I think due to ingorance. How about if the tyres are correctly inflated, new or legal tread pattern and depth, would it still constitute an offence that would stick?

It really concerns me that these people are willing to put their own, and MUCH more importantly, the lives of other Highway users at risk doing this.

There is no need, wider wheels and tyres are fine by me when covered by bodywork as required. Safe Modifying is fun and individual, all in favour of that but within the law and safety requirements.

All traffic officers have to be certified vehicle examiners. There qualifications for this allows them to remove vehciles from a road, if its is concidered to be in a dangerous contition, regardless of what the MOT tester says. The MOT test just for advice does not extend to section 67 RTA1988.

in simple terms even if your MOT tester says its ok to have wheels stretched, I would remove from the road, possibly arrest the individual, for Dangerous driving, and summons the person responsible for fitting. This comes down to USE CAUSE PERMIT, at the very least report for summons.

The driver ALWAYS uses, however in this instance the 'Modder' being a third party, is guilty of an offence of Permitting an offense.

With regard to informing DVLA of change of vehicle type, yes. Otherwise we will submitt a correction report, at the same time of possibly reporting for summons:) A V23 is the required paperwork for this

David

Just tagged to the bottom,
in my experience the most common problem is boys racing around with uninsured vehicles as their insurance has not been altered to reflect the changes. The vehicls are usually first class owing to all waking moments being spent modding! :)

Last edited:
A motorcar is an MPV, (mechanically Propelled Vehicle) other than a motorcycle or invalid carriage, which is constructed to carry a load or passengers and which is below a certain unladen weight. These weights are
¨ if the vehicle is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects, is adapted to carry not more than seven passengers exclusive of the driver and is fitted with inflatable tyres, the maximum weight is 3050 kg
¨ if the vehicle is constructed or adapted for use for the conveyance of goods or burden of any description, the maximum weight is 3050 kg (increased to 3500 kg for gas propelled vehicles)
in any other case the maximum weight is 2540 kg

I agree there is some confusion but not about "what a car is" it was about speed limits for goods vehicles.

Can you confirm that the speed limit for a van less than 2 tonnes mam on a dual carriageway is 70 mph and for a van over 2 tonnes mam is 60 mph?

The problem is that a Doblo van's mam is just a tiny bit over 2 tonnes, I think it's 2.030 and alot of van owners didn't realise they were breaking the speed limit by doing 70 mph on a dual carriageway.

It would be nice to have this confirmed by a traffic cop (y).

Hi, new here - I have a 1.3 multijet Cargo 56 plate from new which is bang on 2000kg which is why I got it rather than the 1.9. (Mainly round town work anyway).

this is quite interesting as quite a few 4x4 fall outside the 2000kg limit

unless i have misundestood this and quite a few Bmws mercs etc

have read every page on this thread and still confused I've got a 2004 1.9 jtd doblo cargo sx is it lower speeds or higher speeds pls just a yes or no answer thanks

On the direct .gov.uk web site if you search for speed limits you will find a section from the highway code

The doblo MPVs are van-derived cars and most are over 2 tonnes. This vehicle type does not appear to be covered and neither are cars over 2 tonnes. Where does say a 12 seat landrover 110 sit in this scheme?

When buying a doblo mpv they are sold by the fiat car show rooms and not the commercial vehicle division which would lead me to believe it is a car if I were to have bought one new. Does the buyer have an obligation to determine the roots of the design of the vehicle they drive?

John

KJ200SX,

Gross vehicle weight I believe is over 2 tonnes and it is a van not an MPV therefore 70 on motorway, 60 on dual carriage-way and 50 on single carriage-way.

J

There are FOUR weights on the VIN plate

1) Gross laden weight allowed (not kerb weight)
2) Maximum allowable front axle loading
3) Maximum allowable rear axle loading
4) Maximum Gross 'train' weight

2) & 3) when added together will in most cases exceed 1)
4) less 2) is the maximum load you can legally tow (braked trailer / caravan etc.)

If 1) is less than 2000kg then you should be legal at up to 70mph on motorways and dual carriage ways.

Last edited:
Back