Technical Do Panda sumps actually rust through??

Currently reading:
Technical Do Panda sumps actually rust through??

Strange the 1.4 16v in my Tipo is a pressed steel suml rather like on most other fiat engines and not the style there
Guess they changed it for cost reason's

Yes different

I believe if it’s stuck correctly with gasket sealant it becomes a structural part stiffening everything up.

Yes different

I believe if it’s stuck correctly with gasket sealant it becomes a structural part stiffening everything up.
Hmm. Think I'll take an interest in Fiat's recommended sealant in that case? The good old "rubbery" silicone sealant I like, and which seals very well, won't contribute much by way of structural rigidity.

Loctite 518 is probably better as it's tolerant of a not perfecly clean surface, cures within the joint and wont leave lumps to get trapped in the oil pump strainer. I used it on my gearbox covers with good results.

HOWEVER, I cant get a definitive answer about the sump pan so I'll be using Fiat's recommended sealant.

Last edited:
2005 1.2 still on its original perfect sump, the water pipe accross the front of the engine is still black and we've got All of the bottom of the radiator. Never had a head gasket and its on 104kmiles. Done something right but we've had it from 4 weeks old as it was a pre reg car when we got it

The diesel has a pressed steel sump and the 1.4 petrol has a cast aluminium sump. I doubt that either have much effect on engine rigidity.

I wrecked 2 tyres, by hitting a scaffold plank on motorway. But while the roads are cratered like the moon, the trick is - just avoid hitting potholes.

So I noticed an oil leak on the gravel and went to investigate this evening...

The sump looks to be in terrible, rusty condition. The whole thing is covered in oily goo, but there is no obvious source of leak from above - there is almost a tide-line below the joint, so the seal is still good. And the drip doesn't form on the sump plug, so it isn't there.

I'm left wondering if it has just rusted through?? Is this a thing with Fiats? I've worked on a few cars over the years, but never come across a sump failing through rusting before!!!!

If yes, is it an easy job to swap?

Any input welcomed!!
My 2011 Panda started weeping a tiny smear of oil one day. Since an MOT was due I scraped the area which was rusty. This enlarged a pin hole. Drip increased. So empty sump and give all the rusty areas a good scrape and the area of the pin hole down to shiny metal. Then used a ballpein hammer to make a little hollow around the tiny hole and filled it with liquid metal. Then a few coats of Hammerite paint. It has lasted a couple of years now. A new sump is not that expensive, just messy to remove old sealant before fitting the new one.

My 2011 Panda started weeping a tiny smear of oil one day. Since an MOT was due I scraped the area which was rusty. This enlarged a pin hole. Drip increased. So empty sump and give all the rusty areas a good scrape and the area of the pin hole down to shiny metal. Then used a ballpein hammer to make a little hollow around the tiny hole and filled it with liquid metal. Then a few coats of Hammerite paint. It has lasted a couple of years now. A new sump is not that expensive, just messy to remove old sealant before fitting the new one.
That’s what they do at some garages since at least the Punto if you just want a cheap and cheerful repair

yes. UK roads in the chilterns arround High wycombe, it spent a little time in Bournemouth recently, I think part of the trick was fitting additional wire mesh into the front bumper to stop debris getting into the radiator

My 100HP alloys are all buckled. I fitted steels which are still as good as new after around 20,000 miles. IMO most alloys are expensive baubles. Pepperpot steels are far more durable and with the right finish look just fine. They suit the 100HP in a classic Alfa Spider sort of way.

Back