Technical Do i need do prime the turbo if i unplug the drain pipe to replace a leaking seal?

Currently reading:
Technical Do i need do prime the turbo if i unplug the drain pipe to replace a leaking seal?

ruispeed3d

Hey,
The drain pipe coming from the turbo is leaking in the seal connecting to the engine block and drooling all over the oil pan.

I know when you change the feed line is good practice to prime the turbo again so that the line is filled again with oil and doesn't deprive the turbo of oil for that little bit while running.

But the drain pipe supposedly doesn't have any pressure. What i don't know is...if i unplug it only from the engine block (again...the drain pipe), will it drain also a bit from the feed line? will i need to prime it again?

I'm guessing i can just unplug from the engine block, put in new seal, or use silicone, and connect it again and that's that. But i could be missing something, that's why i'm asking you.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Rui Louro

Could you not just disconnect the crank sensor and spin it over for a few seconds to pump oil around the engine

The amount of air going through at starter speeds won't make the turbo spin fast enough to worry about

that's one way to do it actually, thank you. But i was curious whether i needed to do that or no.

No you shouldn't need to prime it. The drain pipe should be empty

Back