Do DPFs wear out?

Currently reading:
Do DPFs wear out?

Hi,

It's a very very long story....to cut it short.

Error code 1206 DPF problem.

It's been going on for years and years. I've replaced loads of sensors, checked the pipes, spent hours looking at MultiEcuScan, done the forced regen when told to etc etc.

Clogging gets to about 103%. Engine failure light. Do the forced regen (clogging down to about 90%) and off on my travels.....until it gets to about 103% again.

The car has done 73k and I bought it with about 30k on the clock, 2 previous owners and some unknown history!! To start with it would go OK for a couple of years, but I'm sure it's now getting more frequent.

The only thing left to do is to replace the DPF, I've read that they can "wear out" from 20k onwards. But they shouldn't really need replacing before 100k or 70k at the earliest.

Is it likely that the DPF needs replacing, or is there another fix?

Great car but this problem is becoming a real pain!!

Any tips?

Cheers

Ron

What car?
DPFs can be reclaimed or cleaned, preferential off the car. A problem with Ducato twin egr models is they can crack or burn the DPF and then thats it. just clogging may be ok to clean. If you have Multiecuscan you can monitor the DPF differential sensor which can aid in diagnosis.
Some companies do an on car mobile service. OR DIY via dpf sensor or O2 sensors

Problem with forced regens its not unknown the crack the DPF.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks.

2006 Doblo 1.9 Multijet Dynamic

Replaced the differential pressure sensor, used MES graph function to monitor its activity...and it looks ok.

There's something up and I'm thinking the DPF could be passed the end of its life (for whatever reason). No visible cracks so I suspect a build up of ash in it insides. Clean or replace? If it is chocked up then a replacement would probably the easiest option. Unless there is something else that's gone wrong.

Cheers

Ron

Hi,

Having studied MES far too much over the years I can report that on this Doblo it does its own regen at about 105% and if all goes ok it'll drop the clogging down to about 17%. It'll then be about 550 to 600 miles before it reaches the 105% threshold again.

My guess is still that the DPF is finished....is there a way to confirm this? Or is swapping out the only test? Or is there something else worth looking at?

Cheers

Ron

Normally a regen occurs when the engine is hot, and running at a constant speed. This cannot happen if the vehicle is used mainly for local runs. A forced regen should only be necessary if it becomes clogged due to short running.
With the post-regen state of 90%, that suggests that the filter is partially blocked rather than clogged, preventing the regen from reaching all areas. A past history of mainly local running, I suspect.
An off-car cleaning may give a win, but if not, a replacement looks to be on the cards. I dread to think what the cost of a new one might be. If sourcing used, a high milage unit may be likely to be better than another low milage one.

Sometimes a good run with some very aggresive driving can fix it.

Hi,
If it gets to 105% then the regen goes ahead as it should. Sometimes it gets there but sometimes it gets to between 90% and 103% only and throws up "engine failure" on the dash and goes into limp mode. Plus MES shows P1206 error, which returns after a mile or two if it is cleared without a forced regen. Forced regen is then necessary.

The differential pressure was a suspect at one time, giving spurious outputs, but that has been replaced without any effect on this problem.

If I had to change the DPF I'd go for a new one. There are aftermarket ones from BM Catalysts for about £200.

Cheers
Ron

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 44
Back