Technical DLR help - works on menu but not on key ignition

Currently reading:
Technical DLR help - works on menu but not on key ignition

BDM2510

Hope someone can help. I have a 68 Fiat 500 dualogic. Car went for MOT today and DLR bulbs required to replaced (both blown). The garage have advised that the new bulbs work off the menu on the instrument cluster when selecting ON (DLR ON) but as soon as you turn on the ignition they do not come on. The garage rebooted the system by removing battery terminal for 5 mins but same issue. Lights come on using menu but will not come on when ignition is turned on. They are perplexed and asked me to contact Fiat to advise or take the car with trade plates to Fiat. Can't get car back despite MOT all OK bar DLR. Need urgent advice.

The only thing changed in the car months ago was TFT instrument cluster fitted to replace the older LED but everything was working all OK (see my other threads). Can't see this being an issue. Why are DLR working on the cluster menu but not when the ignition is turned on. Help as I need the car back.

I'm totally confused are you saying they work ignition off?
Or ignition on and lights off?
You're sure the correct bulb fitted, older cars use a type 580 dual filament but it's possible to fit a single filament type which would give odd results,
Confirm correct bulb fitted
Key OUT lights to on, side lights dim?
Lights OFF start car, any lights on? Turn on lights, (headlights on) are side lights in bumper dim?, not bright?
Turn off lights engine on are the drl on?
Confirm drl on in menu
I suspect a very basic fault, or misunderstanding
You can drive the car home all be it without a mot you are allowed to drive the car without mot to a garage in order to affect repairs with a prior appointment

Last edited:
With engine and key off and the menu programmed to DLR on - Daylight lights switch on.

When they turn the key on and start the engine lights DLR doesn't come on.

As you say ignition on and DLR off.

Both DLR lights were blown before MOT albeit car only moved less than 1000 miles since last MOT. It is a 2018 68 plate car.

Basically I can't move car from the garage due to MOT and the garage looking for advice as they bulbs are working but DLR don't come on when engine on. MOT fail if DLR don't come on in 2018 model. Garage suggested I speak to Fiat to ask or they can trade plate car and take to Fiat.

Hope this explains.

I'm assuming they are using a laptop hooked up to the car to operate the lights etc?
Whist not a person using mes, I'd have thought the car would have to be running to test all the lights anyone's input welcome
Also if both bulbs blown I assume the drl have been switched off for some time? By you or the previous owner?
My confusion is, selection on in the menu to turn on drl, requires the car to be running?

Last edited:
I'm assuming they are using a laptop hooked up to the car to operate the lights etc?
Whist not a person using mes, I'd have thought the car would have to be running to test all the lights anyone's input welcome
Also if both bulbs blown I assume the drl have been switched off for some time? By you or the previous owner?
My confusion is, selection on in the menu to turn on drl, requires the car to be running?
No they are using the menu on the instrument cluster where the speedo is. I haven't used the car much in the last year.
I am going to visit the garage tomorrow to have a look myself before I call Fiat. Seems a bizarre thing to go wrong with DLR.

I'm not sure how they switch the lights on using the instrument cluster?

But a 2018 should be. Facelift car with the led lights

These should work as follows
The led DRL lights should be on with the main lights off

Turn dipped main lights on and they should dim I believe

The other bulb I think in the drl light unit is for the full beam

Not 100% on this however as I've not had. A facelift 500
No they are using the menu on the instrument cluster where the speedo is. I haven't used the car much in the last year.
I am going to visit the garage tomorrow to have a look myself before I call Fiat. Seems a bizarre thing to go wrong with DLR.

Yes it has the facelift model but it has an lcd instrument cluster which was fitted after I purchased the car. Can't see how this change could affect the car as everything works fine (see my other threads). I read some other forums and someone had the same issue as they selected DLR on the cluster menu but pressed the option for DLR ON too quickly and it didn't save. so thought it was switched off. I will see tomorrow and that you for advise on MOT as I wouldn't getting home to try and fix as it seems to eb something simple or as you said (and other forums I have read). The garage said that the light switch goes from on to dip lights and main beams and unlike VW doesn't do to side lights.. Not sure what difference that means but don't agree with that with my memory driving in evening/ night.

I'm not sure this is a reason to not let you take the car - hardly a "dangerous" fault given the ability to switch the lights off exists.

Also not sure why it's your job to contact Fiat. If they're keeping your car from you with a fault they are struggling to fix they should be more on it.

Have to say I've noticed newish face lift cars and brand new driving without drl on as though its switched off at purchase which seems odd just an observation but seen enough cars to wonder why it can be switched off in the first place

Have to say I've noticed newish face lift cars and brand new driving without drl on as though its switched off at purchase which seems odd just an observation but seen enough cars to wonder why it can be switched off in the first place
Probably type approved before the requirements to have drl light's and fiat haven't bothered to change them since

fairly sure my Tipo can not have them turned off

Yes it has the facelift model but it has an lcd instrument cluster which was fitted after I purchased the car. Can't see how this change could affect the car as everything works fine (see my other threads). I read some other forums and someone had the same issue as they selected DLR on the cluster menu but pressed the option for DLR ON too quickly and it didn't save. so thought it was switched off. I will see tomorrow and that you for advise on MOT as I wouldn't getting home to try and fix as it seems to eb something simple or as you said (and other forums I have read). The garage said that the light switch goes from on to dip lights and main beams and unlike VW doesn't do to side lights.. Not sure what difference that means but don't agree with that with my memory driving in evening/ night.
So what is the actual fault here?

Im confused to the actual MOt issue?

And what bulb have they been changing the face light car uses led lights for the DRLs
So they can not have changed the drl bulb

I'm confused what the garage is talking about.

If the menu setting for DRLs is "On" then the DRLs should come on when the ignition is on.
You can't turn the lights on using the menu. You can only change the *setting* to "On". That by itself should not turn the lights on, it just makes the DRL lights come on when the ignition is turned on.

If your DRLs are on when the ignition is off, then that is the problem. No ignition should mean DRLs are off.

You have a Body Control Module or earthing fault... so an auto-electrician is probably the better option, rather than the Fiat dealer.

Ralf S.

If your day running lights have filliment bulbs (some have two filaments in each bulb-)
They have to be exactly the correct bulb , correct power for each filliment.
These bulbs function as drl and side lights

Was your car registered after 1st March 2018?

If your day running lights have filliment bulbs (some have two filaments in each bulb-)
They have to be exactly the correct bulb , correct power for each filliment.
These bulbs function as drl and side lights

Was your car registered after 1st March 2018?
ops car is supposed to be a 2018 plate

So should be a Facelift with the led drls

Thank you for all your responses today and what unfolded was incredible, Yes - all 2018 onward cars must have DLR working and MOT failure if not. Read all forum details and visited garage first thing this morning. This time mechanic working on car explained the fault. Bulbs changed and DLR did not work on key or startup. He connected his diagnostic laptop and no faults shown and could turn the DLR on via his diagnostics software but not when car was using key. All other lights etc worked perfectly but no DLR. After explanations phoned local Fiat dealership for guidance. Usual tosh that they would need to see the car but wouldn't be for 7 days to the tune of £138 for fault diagnosis plus any parts etc. Took booking details back to MOT garage and said Fiat couldn't help and I couldn't move the car due to insurance as it didn't have valid MOT (due to the DLR issue). I asked the garage for keys so I could check I hadn't left anything. I thought about all all the things I had asked garage about checking the menus on the car. I turned on the radio and went to settings > Lights> DLR on/off and surprise surprise the DLR light was off. Pressed to the ON with the tick sign and bingo. DLR fully working on key and start up. MOT examiner drove by with another car and showed they worked perfectly and he was dumfounded. Simple basic fix. In their defence the garage said that DLR on/off feature had been removed from cars as a feature due to the law but likely that Fiat kept the software for DLR from 2007 the same. MOT received, car collected and home. I appreciate all the comments and help above and got there in the end. Thank you

I've replaved the bulbson the older ones, but the new ones are LED, how can they have blown??

The original set had both blown and my wife doesn't do many miles so when I checked the car before the MOT I just assumed everything was working. The MOT got into a muddle on the issue but as discussed resolved via the settings on the radio. They were adamant a 2018 Fiat would have a DLR on/off option as most cars don't. Saved me a for Fiat to find resolution in 30 seconds

Back