Technical Different Socket Head Cap Screw

Currently reading:
Technical Different Socket Head Cap Screw

I was going to remove the starter motor today, because it's running slow and I wanted to checkout it's condition and get any serial numbers. But offered the tool up to undo what I thought a Torx socket and it didn't go in properly, it only went in a couple of mm. I was not prepared to attempt undoing it and looking closer I noticed that it wasn't a standard Torx socket, but one with much squarer edges.

Do these sockets have a special name? I did a web search but nothing came up.

Err, no, thanks anyway. I've actually got a set of those. It was more like the attached.

20231111_225054.jpg

Ah found them. They're called 6 & 12 point Series 54CV Socket. :cool:
Thanks for that.
They are also called Spline drive, but that name is also used for triple square, so can be confusing when shopping. Triple square has 'points' whereas the true spline has 'square' teeth. Often also known as 'Ribe', presumably after the company that invented them.
Without going out in the rain, I think the door check straps on the Panda are these square edged type. Strange that just a few fasteners are an unusual type.

Perfect, thats a much better search term, and I found them straight away :cool:

Ribe Socket Set

Thank you very much, its difficult to find something when you don't know what they're called.

I thought it was odd that I couldn't find them using the other name, it was like there was only one company making them!!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back