Technical Diesel Noise

Currently reading:
Technical Diesel Noise

flyingscot

Not really sure if this is a problem or a characteristic of the car but something I noticed when the radio was off!

When the engine revs drop as you depress the clutch changing between 1st and 2nd and then 2nd and 3rd, the engine (1.6 Multijet) sounds a bit rougher than it does when changing between other gears, lot more diesel clatter in a way. Quite difficult to describe and I suspect it is nothing especially as the car is only a year old with a lowish mileage, but just wondering if any other owners had noticed this?

Is this just a characteristic of the car. Can't say it unduly worries me, but if it is something I can at least flag it in the future.

By the time you are in third, and changing up to fourth, there will be somewhat more road and wind noise. The ear compensates for louder noises anyway, so you diesel noise will be less noticeable.

Hi.

Is this your 1st diesel?
If it is then they always sound like a bag of nails at low road speed (manouvering, through town etc). As neilshep says this soon disappears as you pick up speed due to road and wind noise drowning out the engine. Mine feels really relaxed and quiet at speed, many people have commented that it is much quieter than a diesel Mondeo.

No not my first diesel. It would be second I've owned, but I've driven at least 4. I have also driven a 2.2 Honda which is thirsty IMHO.

Think it might just be a characteristic that is sounds a bit rough when you come off the gas to change gear. Think it is more prevalent when cold which would make sense.

Since having the exhaust valves replaced to cure the misfire mine sounds different.

When you accellerate then lift off the throttle to change up a gear there's a throaty noise as the revs drop. That sounds like it could be what you are hearing - it's not something that worries me.

Since having the exhaust valves replaced to cure the misfire mine sounds different.

When you accellerate then lift off the throttle to change up a gear there's a throaty noise as the revs drop. That sounds like it could be what you are hearing - it's not something that worries me.

Sounds exactly like it, only notice it in lower gears. Isn't worrying me I just noted it sounded unusual.

this is an old thread I know, but the only one that describes the issue with my car, if it really is one.

So when clutching, especially in the lower gears when the revs drop more, the car makes an throaty induction type noise. Clutch feels fine, I don't think it makes any noise itself. Though when idling and pressing the clutch the engine note also changes slightly.

Now I think the car has a slightly blocked injector or two as the top end is quite noisy at idle, so I suspect that may be making the noise.

car is an 08 1.9 150mj with 60k miles.

Anybody else have the same symptoms? thanks!

My old MiTo 1.6jtd used to get a little rough sometimes and more noticeable in the cold weather (as with all diesels) whereas my Bravo 2.0 multijet seems much more refined and has little diesel clatter.

I used to just run a few tanks of V-Power diesel through, when it was a lot cheaper, or alternatively used some Millers Diesel Power Eco Max stuff. An oil change may also help.

Back