Technical diesel flutter

Currently reading:
Technical diesel flutter

Dirtydiesel

Hi.
ive got a 1.6 multijet punto evo (2012) with around 24k on clocks and in last few days ive noticed its fluttering. Now im not sure if its done this before or ive just never heard it cause of having windows up and radio on (owned the car since 10k). Its the classic diesel flutter you hear but it happens only at 1000-1500 rpm when I back of the throttle. Usually in 3rd and 4th up hills etc. I was wondering do these cars have wastegates and is it just that ive only just noticed the flutter or its just got abit louder due to spring loosening etc or is this a problem with the turbo? No loss of power or mpg that ive noticed just this flutter. Now im not complaining that its a bad sound just I dont want to ruin my car for not reporting a problem. Ive also noticed that if I take the car up to about 3krpm and then put clutch down it does it little faint hiss and the at 1500rpm-1000 it flutters but alot fainter. Noe to me it sounds like its a wastegate but I cant find anything on net etc so anyhelp would be appreciated.
Kind regards.
Danny.

Hi, I have a 2011 1.6 multijet with 22k miles and I hear exactly the same flutter! In second at 1600-1800 revs and just easing off the throttle up a hill is when it's most prominent. Apparently we don't have a waste gate... But I don't think it does any harm :)

Yeah exactly the same. I think it sounds nice to be honest just dont wanna break my car haha. And yeah after hearing it more id say its the air being chopped by the turbo despooling. Just hope it doesnt reduce the turbo life cause it does it without me even meaning to sometimes. Mines most prominent in 4th up a hill. Have it about 1200rpm and plant ya foot when it gets to about 1350/1400 and you hear the whistle let off and then when you hear it dip your clutch. It lasts a good 5 seconds. Anyways if ya find anything else out somewhere post a link or give info. Us diesels need to stick together :)
all the best.
Danny.

Loving the sporting in white to btw. Looks smart. Bet its not clean long tho being a diesel.

Back