Styling Decal Stickers / Insurance Mod?

Currently reading:
Styling Decal Stickers / Insurance Mod?

LOL. I know a bloke who flatly refuses to buy/wear any clothes with a brand name showing - he says, clothing with a brand name/logo on the outside should be at least 50% cheaper than clothing that has no logo/branding showing OR the company should pay you to wear it.
With regards those decals, not only will they be a pita to remove, they will also leave very clear telltale marks as the sun will bleach the rest of the paint (and pollutants will also act) & dirt/grime will gather around the edges leaving even more evidence of where the decals were.
i had a toyota yaris and had 2 sets of decals on it in the 4 years i had it. basically for the whole time. my dad removed them with a heat gun and we polished the car up. no mark at all to say they were ever there.

What insurance company comes and looks at your car when you take out insurance?

When you fail to answer that one, I'll ask how the insurance company know whether or not you had any stickers on when you bought the car?

:)

What insurance company comes and looks at your car when you take out insurance?

When you fail to answer that one, I'll ask how the insurance company know whether or not you had any stickers on when you bought the car?

:)

The one that sends out a loss adjuster in the event of the claim, the one who wants to get out of paying several million for a fatal accident or the one perhaps supplied with pictures taken from the accident scene by the other party :rolleyes:

What's the stickers being on the car when you purchased it got to do with it :confused:

Next stupid question that anyone with common sence can't answer please :)

You have accident, you take car to be accessed for repair, repair company look over car assess the damage and put together a quote/report for the insurance company.

This report often includes photos of the car from multiple angles, things like tyre tread depth and general road worthiness, if a car has undeclared wheels body kits, engine modifications etc these things all go in the reports and get sent to the insurance co as would anything like the car being covered head to toe in graphics or decals. The insurance love this report as it gives them their opt out clause for your undeclared mods.

Oh it's also worth noting that the police like to carry digital cameras to areas where young drivers meet up as well as cruises, they then send these photos to the insurance companies underwriting the policies of the cars involved, the result of which can be a letter on your door step voiding your policy but leaving you responsible for the full payment amount,

So it is ALWAYS worth checking everything with your insurance co, some might say its ok but if it's not actually detailed in the policy documents it's not insured, doesn't matter if it was on the car when you bought it or not, it's your car and your responsibility

So when someone hits your car it might not be your fault but you might be left digging deep in your own pockets for replacing things like aftermarket wheels or in this case replacing graphics/decals

Last edited:
The point is that the insurance company do not know what stickers were on the car when you bought it.

No insurance company review the car when providing insurance.
They only go off the manufacturers spec and if you buy a car with stickers on how are you to know that they were not supposed to be there?

So its not a stupid question.

The point is that the insurance company do not know what stickers were on the car when you bought it.

Again, what has this got to do with anything???

They only go off the manufacturers spec and if you buy a car with stickers on how are you to know that they were not supposed to be there?

Yes it is a stupid question! It's your responsibility to know, not the insurance companies. The policy is setup based upon utmost good faith on your behalf and as such an insurance company doesn't have to review the car. It's not the insurers responsibility to check if a car is standard, it's yours! Again we're not talking about a stripe along a side contour, but big substantial decals, ones which everyone has got, so must be normal and to manufactures spec :rolleyes: :bang:

:chin: i had a think about this and you may have a point, many new small cars have factory option decals such as union flags on the roof of minis and bonnet stripes, fiat have the red green and white stripes for some models and the DS3 has a world of pictures you can glue on at the citroen dealer.

but this is my interpretation of the situation, (it might not be 100% but ok as a guide) if it is a dealer supplied item then it may already be covered under your insurance, however these are optional extras and as such still may not be covered by some companies as much as fitting stilo spec wheels to a punto might not be a acceptable in the eyes of the insurance co, if however they where fitted as standard like the ferrari special edition fiat 500, which had a special bonnet stripe, or the punto Xbox edition. then these form part of the basic spec of that make/model of car and are automatically covered. (quite often special edition cars carry a higher premium anyway)

it might not be easy to find out if all graphics/decals are dealer supplied, obviously the first people to ask are the dealers them self. but some applications will be clearly after market (such as stickers for energy drinks) so it still stands that you should always check with your insurance company,

we have thankfully come along way since the 80s where nearly every car had some horrible decal down the sides saying XR3i or Turbo, my neighbor has a 2000 made 4x4 with 'Injection' in big lettering down the read quarters. so this practice isn't quite dead yet so i suppose it is a valid question

If its an optional option from factory, dealer fit, or aftermarket it needs to be disclosed to your insurance company. Most will say its fine and won't need to specify it on the insurance docs. However some will.

If however it's how the car comes, out of the factory with no extras, then it doesn't.

I'm sure you've all used the likes of confused.com etc and under modifications it lists things like parking sensors, aircon etc. If these were optional extra's fitted even in factory but not standard (IE you paid for them on top of the base price of the car) then they need to be declaired, as the car will cost more to replace in a total loss claim etc.

This does however cause issues slightly further down the road such as a decade later where a 3rd or 4th owner may not know if something was standard or not, such as AC, but then again unfortunatly the ownus is still on them to check, not the insurance company.

Obviously again things like aircon an insurance company may not be bothered with when you disclose it as having been fitted at factory, but it still has to be disclosed just incase ;)

And has anyone actually had their insurance revoked because of adding stickers?
Or know someone who has? or someone who knows someone who knows someone at the pub who's mate had?

And has anyone actually had their insurance revoked because of adding stickers?
Or know someone who has? or someone who knows someone who knows someone at the pub who's mate had?

Know of someone who has had an Insurance policy revoked, no. A policy void, yes!

Nothing worse than a void policy with an impending liability claim against you, and then having to declare for life that you've had an insurance policy cancelled / void! ;)

For adding stickers?

I find it incredulous that decals/stickers can be linked to an accident when it is obvious that they have nothing to do with any accidents. Also that someone should think that a sticker would be the reason for the revoking of a policy after an accident.

its not just an accident that the insurance co covers as mentioned previously decals or graphics might make the car more attractive to criminals or vandals, also in repairing a damaged car why should the insurance company be expected to replace something that wasn't their to begin with that you fitted and never bothered to let them know about.

its also a matter of scale, i doubt any insurance company would be bothered about a bumper sticker but might not be so keen on your full vinyl wrap as a full wrap is going to cost £700-800 to replace and a bumper sticker isn't going to even cost £7

For adding stickers?

I find it incredulous that decals/stickers can be linked to an accident when it is obvious that they have nothing to do with any accidents. Also that someone should think that a sticker would be the reason for the revoking of a policy after an accident.

As previously mentioned it down to risk mitigation - large stickers cause distractions - distractions often lead to colissions.

Back