Technical Day Running Lights

Currently reading:
Technical Day Running Lights

DoctorBob

Hi

Just bought a 2009 500 1.2 Lounge. Playing with the menu I turn e on the day running lights. I got the yellow triangle but no lights. That’s goes out if I turn the DRL’s off in the menu and restart the car - I’d like them working, to be honest. Could it be something simple like a bulb or am I destined to do without them?

Thanks for reading

Bob

Check the bulbs. They're not coming on when they're supposed to be on, hence the warning triangle.
When the DRLs are off, the triangle goes out.

When you turn on the ignition, you should get a message "check DRL bulb" etc. if the triangle appears.

Changing the bulbs is a proper PITA unless you have tiny hands, so it may be easier to remove the bumper and then change both the bulbs in both the DRLs, so they won't cause you any more issues for another year..

Ralf S.

Check the bulbs. They're not coming on when they're supposed to be on, hence the warning triangle.
When the DRLs are off, the triangle goes out.

When you turn on the ignition, you should get a message "check DRL bulb" etc. if the triangle appears.

Changing the bulbs is a proper PITA unless you have tiny hands, so it may be easier to remove the bumper and then change both the bulbs in both the DRLs, so they won't cause you any more issues for another year..

Ralf S.
As its the same age as ours removing the bumper could be an even bigger PITA possibly easier jack up (on stand ) remove wheel then it's far easier? Or you could go to Halfords and get them to do it? But it's not really that bad, use your opposite hand to turn than you'd expect so your right for the right side ?

As its the same age as ours removing the bumper could be an even bigger PITA possibly easier jack up (on stand ) remove wheel then it's far easier? Or you could go to Halfords and get them to do it? But it's not really that bad, use your opposite hand to turn than you'd expect so your right for the right side ?
Yep! It's taken over a year to update this one.... Work and.other things... Still going to sort the car though.

I get the message "DRL not found" so fingers crossed it is both bulbs. Thanks to you all for the help.

Yep! It's taken over a year to update this one.... Work and.other things... Still going to sort the car though.

I get the message "DRL not found" so fingers crossed it is both bulbs. Thanks to you all for the help.
Not found, that's likely a MES BCM issue I'm going to bet a simple bulb swap won't fix your problems, on the plus side thank you for coming back after some time often people disappear forever

Thanks for the swift response. I must confess that I don't have a clue what an MES issue is. Is it worth booking it into a main dealer or is it "clinically serious" and requires major surgical intervention? Would like the DRL's to work - it is a lovely little runaround and now it's just the DRL'S and the rear washer that needs attention

If you get the triangle come up! first shout is always check the bulbs! pull the first one and check it on a battery with a wire! if its sound then the other one might be as well so you dont have to struggle to get the second one out!.
However if you find its blown then you need to check the other one!.
If they are both ok then its likely they have been disabled via the body computer! however im not sure if that lights up the warning triangle! you should be able to find someone near you with MES whos willing to help you check it out! look up in the MES register elsewhere on this site!
hope you solve it soon( as a fellow drl suffering member!) mine have disapeared from the speedo trip computer screen so i have no way to turn them on and off anyway!

If you get the triangle come up! first shout is always check the bulbs! pull the first one and check it on a battery with a wire! if its sound then the other one might be as well so you dont have to struggle to get the second one out!.
However if you find its blown then you need to check the other one!.
If they are both ok then its likely they have been disabled via the body computer! however im not sure if that lights up the warning triangle! you should be able to find someone near you with MES whos willing to help you check it out! look up in the MES register elsewhere on this site!
hope you solve it soon( as a fellow drl suffering member!) mine have disapeared from the speedo trip computer screen so i have no way to turn them on and off anyway!

Thank you. It's becoming a challenge so would love to sort it. I'm assuming that a visit to a main dealer would cost the equivalent of a small third world country's national debt. I may have a crack at the bulb as part of a process of elimination first, although fat fingers may prevent that.

Back