Database Normalisation

Currently reading:
Database Normalisation

Hi all,

could somebody please tell me if this database is normalised in 3rd normal form? Im struggling to grasp this, and although I believe this is correct, can somebody please confirm?

db.JPG

Appreciate any help

It has been ages since I have done this, like 5 years at least, but the bottom many to one does not look great, room to resource line?

Are you allowed to have a many to one there, or whatever! Possibly advise/Question if I have not forgotten everything I learnt at Uni!

damn I didnt see that! many resources can be assigned to many rooms, which would be many-many, which is not functional within an entity relationship database, therefore it needs to be split up?

is that what you mean?

thanks mate!

You can have many resources in one room, but a resource would only be assigned to one room at any one point, for example even a moveable projector would be Room x, then Storeroom, Room Y.

You cannot have something in two places at once

I think that would be come one room to a many resources relationship. As I said its been a long long time since I have done this, so please check my logic in the relevant book/online thing.

I think it might work if you do, resource to room as a one room to many resources, and then has the resource line as part of the meeting? That maintains the many to one relationships.

Easiest way I think when doing these things is to think what is the driver of the change of something. The room has resources, meeting is called, extra resources needed, starts process, changes number of resources in the room through the form!

Cheers,

Last edited:
Back