Technical Dashboard failure

Currently reading:
Technical Dashboard failure

Petercoll

I have a Ducato i130 multijet motorhome. Yesterday I went to start it and the dashboard was not working at all. Fuel gauge, temperature, warning lights all out. However the engine started perfectly and all other systems seem to be OK. Checked the fuses under the dashboard and found nothing wrong. Tried again and everything was OK! Tried again the next day and the problem has reappeared. Could this be a relay? Any advice gratefully received

You will see that the supply from the ignition switch goes through fuse F37 to the dash. Possible slight corrosion causing high resistance. just remove the rose and clean. `Worth a try.

Attachments

• eLearn E1010-3 B002 LH Cab Fusebox.pdf
    91.7 KB · Views: 51
You will see that the supply from the ignition switch goes through fuse F37 to the dash. Possible slight corrosion causing high resistance. just remove the rose and clean. `Worth a try.
Hi, thanks for the advice, I have tried this and it worked! Fuse was not blown and clean but possibly not seated properly. Will try it again in a while and let you know. Much appreciated.

@ninian324 ,

Please note that the the eLearn diagram E1010-3 that you attached to post #2 above, was originally posted by me. While based on an eLearn diagram any corrections, and the text annotations are mine. While this and similar diagrams were prepared for my own use, I have no objection to their use by others. However they relate to the x244 model, and not to the later x250. While many fuse numbers relate to similar functions on both models, it is unwise to assume that this is the case.

I have tried the ignition again and back to the same problem ( no display, gauges, display working except that the injector system failure light and power steering light come on. The engine still starts and these go off then as normal. I have tried removing fuse F37 and this causes these to lights to go off when removed. Any one have any other ideas as to the rest of the panel?

The instrument panel ia also shown in the x250 training manual, as being connected to the ignition switch via F53.

The communication with the rest of the vehicle is mainly via the canbus network, of which it is a node. The need for proxi-alignment is mentioned, but that normally applies when something has been changed or replaced.

Thanks, I will try this in the morning and let you know how I get on. It's a bit cold and dark now!

Just another thought. There appear to be several relays in the dashboard fuse box. I haven't found any reference to these in my handbook. Is it possible they could they be sticking and causing the problem?

In my opinion, based on many years of experience of working with relays, that is unlikely. Two of the relays are designated for headlamp dipped beam, and heated rear window. The other two including the larger one are designated for "services".

Hi

To save you wading through eLearn, below is the description of the instrument panel. I also attach a schematic, annotated in yellow by me. You will note that the instrument panel has two supplies, a permanent one via F53 and an ignition controlled one via F37. The power steering and engine management lamps get their supply via F37, and are earthed by the respective control units to illuminate the lamps. Since these seem to be working that suggests F37 is OK. F37 also supplies the brake lights via the BCM. I suggest you check out F53.

It's also possible that the instrument panel common ground (there appears to be just one) has gone open circuit or high resistance, this connects via a black wire on Pin 1 and then via the BCM to the central dashboard earth. The instrument panel connector may need a dose of proprietary switch cleaner and plugging/unplugging a few times.

From elearn:

The ignition-controlled power supply (INT) for the instrument panel E050 reaches pin 3 via the line protected by fuse F37 of the junction unit B002; the direct battery supply arrives at pin 2 via the line protected by fuse F53 of the junction unit B002.

The instrument panel E050 receives a reference earth at pin 1 via the connection with pin 36 of connector B of the Body Computer M001.

The instrument panel E050 is connected from pins 5 and 6 with the Body Computer M001 (pins 5 and 6 of connector B) and via the latter to the entire CAN.

The speedometer signal arrives from pin 23 of the braking system control unit M051 at pin 10 of connector A of the Body Computer M001, which repeats it for the instrument panel E050.

The electronic rev counter receives the engine rpm signal coming via the CAN from the engine management control unit M010, connected via pins 58 and 41 of connector A to the engine rpm sensor K046.

The fuel level gauge is controlled by means of signals coming from the level gauge located in the fuel pump assembly N040 - at pins 7 (positive) and 21 (negative) of connector C of the Body Computer M001 and from there via the CAN to the instrument panel E050.

The insufficient brake fluid level/handbrake warning light is lit up by a signal from the handbrake switch I040 that reaches pin 20 of connector C of the Body Computer M001 or from the signal from the brake fluid level sensor K025 that reaches pin 24 of connector A of M001.

The "engine coolant level" warning light is regulated by the engine coolant level sensor K026, connected to pin 9 of connector A of by the Body Computer M001.

The brake pad wear sensor (switch) K020 controls the warning light through the connection with pin 32 of connector A of the Body Computer M001.

The engine management control unit M010 also sends signals coming from the following units via the CAN (pin 83 and 84 of connector B) to the instrument panel:

• the insufficient engine oil pressure sensor (switch) K030, connected to pin 56 of connector A;
  • the engine coolant temperature sensor K036, connected to pins 58 and 41 of connector A;
  • the water in the diesel filter sensor K031, connected to pin 74 of connector B.
The braking system control unit M051 is connected, from pins 15 and 26, via the CAN line, to the engine management control unit M010, and via pins 14 and 25 to the Body Computer M001 (pins 48 and 49 of connector A) forwarding the signals described above.

There are two direct connections for the instrument panel E050 to light up two warning lights: the EOBD warning light (pin 18) and the electric steering failure warning light (pin 17) which receive the earth signals produced by the auto-diagnostic system for the engine management control unit M010 (pin 71 of connector B) and the ‘Servotronik’ control unit M088 (pin 3) respectively.

See E5050 DIESEL ENGINES ELECTRONIC MANAGEMENT

See E7055 SERVOTRONIK DEVICE

The "Mode +" and "Mode -" controls (pins 5 and 6) located in the left control panel H091 send analogue signals to the instrument panel E050 (pins 13 and 16). Pin 2 of H091 receives the reference earth from pin 8 of connector B of the Body Computer M001.

The instrument panel E050 contains electronic modules that control the dimmed lighting adjustment.

See E2530 INSTRUMENT LIGHTING

The internal logic for E050 also manages the headlamp adjustment function: the panel sends a control signal to the motors in the headlamps from pin 7, whilst the enablement signal reaches pin 8 (dipped headlamps on). The control for the adjustment of the headlamps for unit H091 sends a signal to the instrument panel E050 (pin 14) each time the "+" or "-" buttons are pressed.

See E3080 HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT CORRECTOR

The Trip Computer zeroing button, located in the steering column switch unit H005 (pin 11 of connector A), sends an earth signal to pin 9 of the instrument panel E050.

See E4080 TRIP COMPUTER

Attachments

• X250 Instrument Panel.jpg
    X250 Instrument Panel.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 40
Check for water ingress in the engine bay fusebox and and also the ECU. Mine had a similar issue but in my car it was water ingress in the ECU.

Back