Technical Dangerous Stilo

Currently reading:
Technical Dangerous Stilo

You've got to get on to them and make sure the ECU/ throttle body update has been done. It's exactly for your symptoms. They should know all about it but then again.......

I would have expected the relevant error codes if the accelerator potentiometers were amiss

Ok I'll mention it to em on monday.

I will keep you posted.. Thanks again. CC

Went back to Fiat yesterday to see what fault codes came up and to my annoyance I have a new one :mad:

P0203: Injector Circut Malfunction - Cylinder 3
P0638: Something to do with Throttle????
P1687: The latest addition to the family of errors. "Metering Oil Pump Stepping Motor Cricut Malfunction.

I have no Idea what the first and 3rd mean.

I asked about the Update and they said it wasn't done, but for such a substantial problem it was unlikely to be cured by an update.

I think the stilo will be in the Autotrader as soon as I get rid of These Fault codes. :(

But how could it be fine for years and just need an update all if a sudden?? It doesn't make sense...

But how could it be fine for years and just need an update all if a sudden?? It doesn't make sense...
I agree but many members have had this done and most seem to suggest it makes a big difference.

It's done with Examiner so if checking fault codes anyway then I don't know why they don't just do it :confused:

You should read Deckchair5's posts which cover this well.

"But how could it be fine for years and just need an update all if a sudden?? It doesn't make sense..."
Yes I understand your thinking. The thing is that everything is fine and dandy whilst everything keeps within the set parameters planned. When things fall out of spec ( a sensor returning an out of range figure perhaps) then sometimes it just doesn't know what to do as it hasn't been planned or expected so the ECU does a sulk. This is where turning the engine off and back on again can reset things and off it goes all happy again.

Updates can fix anomolies like this as well as provide better cold starts, acceleration, smoothness and emissions for an all round better drive even if you car was not bad to start with

Your current problems do seem throttle body related but that may be connectors or wiring to the thottle body too. Error P0638 is throttle body and P1637 is generic but I think that'll be the throttle body stepper motor i.e. the same animal. The electrical tracks in the stepper motor sometimes give poor contact similar to the wiper motor and then everything gets out of phase. Equally it could be wiring to the throttle body stepper motor (idle valve)

You can check out Stilo ECU updates here
http://www.f-autronica.it/aggecu.htm
You can translate with this http://translate.google.com/translate_t
Have a look for 02 / 2003

Again, one dredging up from the past, but our Stilo is suffering exactly this problem with exactly the same error codes (P0203 & P0638). We've had a new throttle body put in but it's still causing problems.

Yellow Peril, did you ever get it sorted?

Hi hopefully someone can help before I pay a visit to the fiat dealer.

Nearly every day for the past 5 months I have noticed a judder coming from my Stilo when I accelerate suddenly, more recently the accelerator has cut out completely, as in the engine is still idling but when I push the accelerator nothing happens, when I restart the car all is back to normal temporarily, this has happened regularly, sometimes when I need to accelerate quickly for instance, pulling out onto a roundabout etc.
I gather the Judder I feel before it cuts completely is the accelerator disconnecting for an instant, I spoke to a fiat dealer on the phone and he was saying the Accelerator is fly by wire so when u push the pedal a sensor sends a signal to the throttle.

If anyone has had this problem and has any advise for me I would appreciate your comments.

Also I was thinking about reseting the ECU, how do I go about doing this??

This is what mine was doing and the dealers couldnt pin point the problem, i then found a guide on cleaning on this forum,(click on the guides tab) followed it and now it runs BRILLIANTLY, no juddering when pulling off, no power loss etc..

Give it a try, it only takes 10 mins!

Again, one dredging up from the past, but our Stilo is suffering exactly this problem with exactly the same error codes (P0203 & P0638). We've had a new throttle body put in but it's still causing problems.

RICH, did you replace with new or used?

If its used did you clean the INSIDE of the body, around the butterfly etc...?

Yes. It finally recalibrated at the sixth attempt IIRC...

Yes. It finally recalibrated at the sixth attempt IIRC...
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but, my 2002 1.6 Stilo is having the EXACT same issue as yours. P0203 & P0638 appearing together and randomly. So in your case, did a new throttle body fixed the problem after applying the throttle learning procedure 6 times (aka 6 times rev to above 5000 rpm for 2 seconds, instead of 3 times?).

In another thread, the OP mentioned that what fixed the problem (P0638 & P0203) for him was a new set of correct spec spark plugs.

I will be cleaning (and testing) my injectors anyway as my Stilo has pretty high milage anyway and in the long run, it will save me money by having the absolute best fuel economy.

So problem solved! My mechanic sent the injectors for ultrasonic cleaning and 4 new DENSO spark plugs (OEM spec, not iridium). No more P0203, P0638 and any other related fault code!

I don't know how many of us still own a 1.6 Stilo, but this forum is a gold knowledge base for our cars. So please, if anyone faces any problem that hasn't been discussed before, post a thread. And then don't forget to update it till you solve it! Don't leach help without giving it back to others!

Back