General Damp Interior... Anybody else?

Currently reading:
General Damp Interior... Anybody else?

As I'm sure your all aware, it's rather cold lately, and this has been having terribly annoying affects on my car. For the past few weeks, at late night and/or early mornings when I've been getting into my car, the glass is very wet from the inside, the instrument panel is very wet and generally the entire interior is very moist. :yuck:
I had originally put the problem down to the fact that I had wind deflectors fitted in the window frames. Thinking that it was leaving a gap for air to come in and condensate. This however is not the case as I removed them and I'm still getting the same problem. :(

The only other issue I could possibly put this down to is, that the passenger side aircon/heating fan is making a bit of a tapping/rubbing noise. Could this be broken and consequently letting cold air?

If anyone else has or had this problem, please share your fixes or recommendations because I feel if I leave it like this any longer than my electrics could potentially be at risk.

Cheers :)

Moisture builds up in cars in winter. it comes off your clothes and shoes, off your coats and jackets, it gets into the seats, and in the windows when it rains. If you have air-con, run it in the winter anyway, even with the heat on, as dry(er) air is produced. Don't run with recirc on for more than few minutes, and run the heater up full for as long as you can to dry the car out, even if you have to open the windows. But first: check all of the carpets for leaks and consequent dampness.

You can dry the car out with a fan heater if you have one, with the usual danger of setting the interior on fire.

If the fan is rubbing you may have leaves in there, I think some of the other guys have got them out by removing the pollen filter. Others have found cold air in the drivers side footwell from badly fitting heater bits.

Last edited:
Moisture builds up in cars in winter. it comes off your clothes and shoes, off your coats and jackets, it gets into the seats, and in the windows when it rains. If you have air-con, run it in the winter anyway, even with the heat on, as dry(er) air is produced. Don't run with recirc on for more than few minutes, and run the heater up full for as long as you can to dry the car out, even if you have to open the windows. But first: check all of the carpets for leaks and consequent dampness.

You can dry the car out with a fan heater if you have one, with the usual danger of setting the interior on fire.

If the fan is rubbing you may have leaves in there, I think some of the other guys have got them out by removing the pollen filter. Others have found cold air in the drivers side footwell from badly fitting heater bits.

Cheers I'll give that a go. I guessed that it was just the winter too, but got a bit worried at the amount of dampness that was occurring in the car. I'll give it a full 'dry out' for a day or two in the garage and see if it anybetter. Thanks.

Cheers I'll give that a go. I guessed that it was just the winter too, but got a bit worried at the amount of dampness that was occurring in the car. I'll give it a full 'dry out' for a day or two in the garage and see if it anybetter. Thanks.
Any success? Have you checked the rear washer works - and isn't leaking somewhere along the pipe?

Back