General Damp and moldy carpets

Currently reading:
General Damp and moldy carpets

This is a post about my son's 2012 Punto but I'm posting here because a lot more people seem to frequent this thread than the 2012+ thread. He called by this morning because he was getting a strange rattley noise when going over bumps in the road and it didn't take long to find a piece of the O/S/F spring rattling around in the bottom spring pan of the strut! Must be the season for breaking springs as my younger boy had a N/S/F spring go on his Astra last week. Luckily the spring is still contained in the spring pan but the car is booked into one of my local "friendly" garages already to get a new one fitted - This old body of mine is just not up to the cold and damp any more!

While he was here he also pointed out to me that he's got mold forming on the carpets. It's most evident in the rear seat footwells but there's also signs of it inboard of the sills. The carpets aren't really wet - they're not swimming in water - but they do feel damp (not to the extent you could maybe "wring" water out of them though). Since his wife's working practices have changed, she now works permanently from home, they mostly use the Kia so the Punto tends to stand for long periods without being used. I'm guessing it may simply be condensation and lack of ventilation. Once the spring is done he's going to call round again and we'll turn a hose on it and see if we can find any leaks but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas about common places they leak? By the way, it's not the rear lights - sorted that out a couple of years ago and, to this day, the boot and spare wheel well remain bone dry - I'm guessing it's probably going to be vapour barriers in the doors or maybe something to do with windscreen but anyone who knows different is welcome to contribute.

Thanks folks
Jock

PS By the way it's a 2 door bodyshell

Back